Thread: Could the Micra handle the Alaskan Highway?.....

Thanks

Could the Micra handle the Alaskan Highway?.....

I just got back from an Alaskan cruise, and had such a good time, I want to go back and see Skagway again. Ive always wanted to travel to the Yukon by car(I live in BC), and get as far as Dawson City(and with a sidetrip now to Skagway)

I know the Micra's short wheelbase doesnt make for the most comfortable long-distance ride, but I figure if the Micra can handle Mexican potholed roads and cobblestone streets, it could handle anything the Alaska highway could throw at it. I like the idea of driving there in my Micra wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg, and being able to stay in places longer if I desire........Comments and/or advice?....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra SV automatic: 8.5 L/100 km ... 33.1 mpg (Imp) ... 11.7 km/L ... 27.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    If you could see the roads I have to drive on here in Mexico, I don't think you'll have any problems. Sometimes I think I should get myself a Hummer...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ajijic For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (10-02-2022)

Thanks
    lol....Thank you Sir.....I found out that the road is completely paved now, with a few gravel areas where they are planning to regrade and repave. Yes, if your Micra can handle Mexican potholes and cobble stones, it can handle anything....When I was in PV last, I saw tons of Micras, and I spoke with one cab driver(he was driving a Sentra) and he said I think he was on his third set of shocks for the car!!! Good to know that parts and service for any Nissan would be easy to find in Mexico.

Another plan someday is to drive the Baja and then ferry over to the mainland.....though with the price of gas these days, its almost cheaper to fly....Currently 249.9 CAN a litre in Vancouver, BC

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra SV automatic: 8.5 L/100 km ... 33.1 mpg (Imp) ... 11.7 km/L ... 27.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Regular gas today is 22.99 pesos/ l, $1.58 CDN.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ajijic For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (10-02-2022)

Thanks
    One of the advantages of Pemex!.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HammyJ View Post
    One of the advantages of Pemex!.....
    Actually I purchase my gas from BP, supposedly they have an additive in their fuel and they also state that they sell a litre for a litre, something you don't always get from Pemex. Purchasing gas here is a contest of wits, attempting not to get ripped off by the attendants and their tricks.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ajijic For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (10-03-2022)

Thanks
    I guess I just see the one Pemex station in Olde Towne Puerto Vallarta.....I had forgotten there was competition now. Did the monopoly on gasoline sales end with Vincente Fox? I remember reading that Pemex attendants would sometimes "short" you. Or is it actually in their pumping systems not being accurate?

Thanks
    The pumps are tampered with and the video above is another issue.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ajijic For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (10-03-2022)