Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Micra Oil Change (easy DIY / How to / oil filter part numbers)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I use Penzoil ultra platinum oil with K and N oil filter I change it at 8000k
    My dealer ship say the oil capacity it 3.3 litres not 3.5 as heard on this thread. This combantion has kept the oil nice and amber coloured even at the time of change. My car is at 22000k on it and at the next change I am going to send the oil in for analysis as I want to keep this car past 400k

2. The Following User Says Thank You to efoulds For This Useful Post:

Pete (11-13-2016)

Thanks
    Just changed the oil over the weekend. Also put in 3.3 liters to max full.

Thanks
    This is great Alpha, but where do I buy the crush water and what size. Perhaps you can post a pic of the packaging.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra SR manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    The stealership usually throws in a crush washer when you buy an oil filter from them.

Thanks
    Will buying a non-nissan filter void the warranty. And can you buy the crush washer anywhere else, i.e. Canadian Tire?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra SR manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stever View Post
    Will buying a non-nissan filter void the warranty. And can you buy the crush washer anywhere else, i.e. Canadian Tire?
    IMHO: It is in your best interest to purchase the Nissan filter, since they have a vested interested for any warranty work and cost. The cost of the filter compared to engine work is not in the same ball park...just inexpensive insurance in my opinion...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ajijic For This Useful Post:

Stever (12-03-2016)

Thanks
    I bought a crush washer from my Nissan dealer and it wasn't a crush washer, it was just a flat copper washer - Part Number 11026-JA00A. Paid $1.14 for it. So I went to Amazon.ca and bought actual Nissan crush washers - 20 pc pack for $11.99. Individually that would be .60 cents each. I questioned the counter person about the fact it was not a crush washer and was told it's all they use. So much for keeping to the manual and obviously not a warranty problem. The flat $1.14 washer has been re-used three times now so they do last. As for the filter for the Micra it is a Fram filter painted black, made in Mexico, and labelled Nissan. We have a vendor here (Rock Auto) who sells filters and I have also bought some from Amazon.ca - I bought Wix 51358 as it is one of the cross referenced Nissan Filters Part Number 15208-65F0E. Using different filters meant for the car along with crush washers will not void any warranty.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to eddy For This Useful Post:

Stever (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    The only reason I buy the painted fram filter from Nissan is so I have a printed receipt from them for every oil change. Then I go the extra step of taking a pic of said receipt beside the odometer reading.

Thanks
    Eddy ....I had a flat washer like you speak of on my micra S . It was give to me at a nissan dealer on younge street north of the 401. I had used it four at least four oil changes before I got rear ended and lost the washer with the car.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The only reason I buy the painted fram filter from Nissan is so I have a printed receipt from them for every oil change. Then I go the extra step of taking a pic of said receipt beside the odometer reading.
    When I bought the Nissan filter and the washer I realized the stealership is charging far too much money for both. Then when I was told by the counter person the damn filter was Fram I was ticked that Nissan would stoop so low as to buy into the most controversial filter on the market. So I searched out a replacement filter (Wix) that was rated best and priced lower. As for the flat gasket that is no big deal, flat or crushed, both work, it was just the fact the stealership charged me twice the money for it.

I do my own oil changes and have since day one of ownership, and like you, I document, keep the box lid of the filter, photograph the odometer and the filter and oil receipts. I don't expect Nissan to deny me any warranty work because I change my own oil/filter especially when Nissan prints in their Micra Manual that we can do our own oil changes. And so why did I decide to do my own oil changes.

Let me count the ways.

One - It's cheaper.

Two - I have a local car shop who lets me dump my used oil.

Three - I get to know that I did a good job, unlike past experiences with teenagers changing my oil and over filling the engine or putting in the wrong oil.

Four - The Dealer I bought from harassed me by email and phone calls about the poor Nissan rating I was asked to complete.

Five - My purchase of this car was not smooth and pleasant. The salesman was exceptional but the finance experience within the dealership was downhill from the moment I sat down. How many times does one have to say no thanks to rustproofing, paint protection, financial insurance, arguing over their stated interest rate compared to what they put on paper, Jesus save me from these people.

Six - Who operates a million dollar dealership and the oil changes have to be made by appointment only. Between my home and this dealership are 2 drive in oil change only shops and 4 garages willing to change your oil without appointments but the Nissan dealer I dealt with has to have you make an appointment. Ain't gonna happen.

I do like the car and would buy another Nissan product but not from you know who.

PS - Want to save some more money? Note that the original air filter on the Micra is saturated with an oil product. I don't know what Nissan charges for these filters but it has to be expensive. Go buy a K&N pre oiled filter or better yet a washable K&N filter if its available yet, pay the price for it and it's the last filter you will buy.

Last edited by eddy; 12-05-2016 at 06:06 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to eddy For This Useful Post:

Pete (12-05-2016)