Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Micra Oil Change (easy DIY / How to / oil filter part numbers)

Thanks
    I had the same results with putting in the recommended amount of oil and resulted in over fill, so partial drain to correct. I have done two oil changes now and no problems have developed by following the oil level mark on the dipstick. I recommend when doing these oil changes to add a bit at a time, take several readings and add until you reach the full mark and I recommend checking your oil level at least once a week instead of at gas fill ups. My gas fill ups are 4 to 5 weeks apart so I do more oil checks.

Your Nissan filter all painted nice and black is a Fram filter in disguise. FYI

Thanks
    The best oil based on my research is Motul. It may not be necessary for your driving application, however if cost is not an issue it is the one to get, IMHO. This is a very complex topic and without a PhD in Chemistry it is difficult to separate the myths and marketing hype from reality.

https://www.motul.com/mx/en/products/recommendation

The Fram filter that is labeled as Nissan many not be the same one that is purchased under the Fram name, since the specification specified by the manufacturer may be different. The manufacturer is the one who is on the hook for warranty work so they want the best filter in the car. Some oil filters have a check valve to ensure that engine oil travel has occurred prior to opening for filter purposes. The cheaper filters don't necessarily have this to reduce cost.
    Last edited by Ajijic; 01-24-2016 at 12:21 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Motul Oil. Very expensive around here in Ontario --Ouch. I jump between Castrol & Pennzoil synthetic. Taken a liking to Pennzoil made from natural gas. Whoever has the best price at oil changes gets my business.

Update Nov 11 - I no longer use Pennzoil on anything with an engine.
    Last edited by eddy; 11-11-2016 at 02:58 PM.

That pennzoil 100% syn is grp5 stuff... I use it, and it's $28.88 from Walmart. Great stuff! But I do like motul, a like pricey tho.
    I'd recommend either.
    I'd save the motul for the summer time if your driving it hard, like at the track, or the 401 lol.
    It seems like the v6 4.0ltr engine on the frontier also uses a small filter like ours, so does the 350/370z so I think the small filter serves a purpose.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

Pete (01-25-2016)

Thanks
    Like I've said all along the large filter is small.

Thanks
    Hey folks,

Is anyone here using the Lucas Oil additive to their oil changes?

I'm only asking because my car will sit for a about a week at a time since I work from home and don't need to drive it that much. The Lucas Oil helps keep the moving parts slightly lubricated helping reduce wear and tear on start ups...or so the advertising claims.

I've had the car for just a little over a month with slightly over 1000Km's on the engine so far. With the car sitting for 4-5 days at a time I'm worried the oil will be sitting in the bottom of the pan and not have enough lubrication when I do start up the car.

I'm thinking of adding some Lucas Oil when I get to my first oil change. Do you fine folks think it's a wise investment to make?

Thanks

Once a vehicle is run, oil lubricates the parts up to 4 months. That being said, there will always be start up wear if the vehicle shuts off, and then starts up. The only real way to defeat this is a dry sump
    System and even then the luberication starts briefly before a OEM system.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixelpusher View Post
    Hey folks,

Is anyone here using the Lucas Oil additive to their oil changes?

I'm only asking because my car will sit for a about a week at a time since I work from home and don't need to drive it that much. The Lucas Oil helps keep the moving parts slightly lubricated helping reduce wear and tear on start ups...or so the advertising claims.

I've had the car for just a little over a month with slightly over 1000Km's on the engine so far. With the car sitting for 4-5 days at a time I'm worried the oil will be sitting in the bottom of the pan and not have enough lubrication when I do start up the car.

I'm thinking of adding some Lucas Oil when I get to my first oil change. Do you fine folks think it's a wise investment to make?

Thanks
    I use to belong to a car club in Canada and we would get a technical speaker in very month. This particular 2 months we focused on oil and got in the Chief Engineer for Exxon and Petro Canada. It was an eyeopener and a lot was learned and un-learned about the very complex science of Oil. Bottom line oil is a very complicated recipe of chemicals, the base stock is just one of many, and under no circumstances is the user to add ANYTHING to the mix.

As an aside I heard of a story of a car enthusiast who put synthetic oil in his car and thought an additive could only make it "better". Unfortunately the additive turned the oil to a gel in the sump. When he turned the engine on in the morning the oil remained at the bottom of the engine and the engine seized. Moral of the story is a PhD in Petrochemicals knows more that I ever will.
    Last edited by Ajijic; 01-28-2016 at 11:51 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ajijic For This Useful Post:

IMPUL (01-28-2016),Pete (01-28-2016),ptbo micra (01-28-2016)

Thanks
    Thanks for the info IMPUL and Ajijic.

Thanks
    Well I have yet to change the oil on our Micra. Just bought it. That said I have always used synthetic as I consider Alberta to be "severe" conditions. Extremely hot to extremely cold. This is not San Diego! A major brand is great like Quaker State, Castrol, Pennzoil, Amsoil, etc. and I always use a better brand oil filter like Wix or Hastings. When an engineer cut apart a Fram/Pennzoil it was not a good quality filter. My 2 cents of thought. Oil is a slippery subject and I hope I have not offended anyone.