Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Micra Oil Change (easy DIY / How to / oil filter part numbers)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BanjoMicra View Post
    I am just about to do my second oil change and the manual says something about maybe change brake fluid but does not required till fourth oil change how bad would it have to be? Is it hard to change
    I wouldn't think the brake fluid would ever need changing unless it somehow got contaminated.

Also, for anyone who is interested...both long and short filters are linked in the OP... with respective cross reference charts for just about every aftermarket filter

Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Ah...I missed that edit.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me what type of oil is the first oil installed in the Micra from the factory? I read that's it's 0W-20? Is it synthetic or regular? why the 8000k? it will take me at least 6 months to reach this, and that means all winter.

I was thinking of putting synthetic oil in my car for the winter and the Mobil 1 0w-20 sound great for our -30C winter temperatures. NO way I am spending the winter with regular oil if that's what is in my engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Oil and how often you should change it can be a touchy subject...lots of guys will defend their take on it to the death!

Don't know what oil my Micra came with, but it was probably the regular (definitely not synthetic) 5W30 that the manual recommends.

If you plan on keeping the car for only a few years just use cheap 5W30 and change at the factory recommend intervals. The extra wear on the engine will be the next owners problem.

If you believe in Karma, or plan on owning the car for a long time and or putting a lot of miles on it... you can use the same cheap 5W30 and just change it more frequently (I would suggest 5000km max). If you don't mind spending the extra $, Mobil1 is an excellent oil, but I would still change at 5000km max.

Bunker gear on.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I won't use regular oil for sure. Here it can get to -30C often and it's like starting a car with maple sirop. I will definitly switch to synthetic if it's not already in the car and this is why I want to know what the car came with. Some say it is with 0W-20 synthetic but I need confirmation of it. And not sure I can reach 5000km before it gets that cold here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    0w20? I don't see any reason why they would put anything other than the suggested 5w30, which is for sure regular). And I would suggest passing the 2k break in if your worried about changing too early.

Thanks
    For sure regular? the manual says that it has been filled at the factory with superior quality oil and the first oil change is at 8000km. How can regular oil last that long? I really doubt it. It degrade too fast to last that long. Synthetic oil can last that long though.

The manual is very conflicting. First they say that Nissan recommand to use a fuel efficiency oil, and the only one that I know of is the thiner oil. They also say to use the proper oil viscosity according to the temperature that the car is going to be driven in, but later on they say that using the oil viscosity other than the one recommanded (5W30) could dammage the engine. geeesss..make up your mind Nissan!! ??

It's very confusing to say the least.

Use fuel efficiency oil, use oil according to temperature, but don't use other oil than the viscosity that is recommanded??? does not make a single bit of sense.

I guess this one would work well for my car: 0W-30:

http://www.mobil.ca/Canada-English-L..._afe-0w30.aspx
    Last edited by dani3d; 11-16-2014 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dani3d View Post
    For sure regular? the manual says that it has been filled at the factory with superior quality oil and the first oil change is at 8000km. How can regular oil last that long? I really doubt it. It degrade too fast to last that long. Synthetic oil can last that long though.
    Read the first link Alpha posted on the bottom of page 1 of this thread. It might put your mind at ease.
    From what I've read. 30 oil IS thinner than 20 oil.
    Superior quality does not mean synthetic...(Although synthetic is superior. hehe)

I followed your link: the 5w30 seems to meet both your requirments and those of the Micra Bible. It's only a question of WHEN to put it in. And that's a question only you could answer. (Again waiting till just after break in period will allow you to change before getting too cold)

Thanks
    how can 30 oil be thinner than 20?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dani3d View Post
    how can 30 oil be thinner than 20?
    http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

Johnskers (11-17-2014)