Thread: Notes on DTC P0420 and spark plug changes

Thanks

Notes on DTC P0420 and spark plug changes

At about 117k, my car would intermittently throw a P0420 (low catalyst efficiency), but more recently it became an ongoing issue. I was looking into working on that part of the exhaust when my friend suggested a spark plug change. Sure enough, I was on original plugs (122k km), and they were quite worn. 70 dollars and a few hours of swearing later, no more DTC! Make sure you check that first!

Notes on the spark plug change:
    -The Mastercraft Maximum long impact sockets are just long enough to reach the bolts holding the intake manifold on. If you use a swivel head breaker bar, it'll just clear the manifold without interfering with the hood latch.
    -The 14 mm spark plug socket from Canadian Tire works fine for the HR16DE. Way less expensive than the fancy ones. However, I had the opposite problem than the people in the reviews. It held on to the plug too hard, and kept pulling the socket off my extension. (My friend said to tape the socket to the extension next time)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Aaron GE For This Useful Post:

Vaszya (08-31-2022)

Thanks
    Great info, thanks! What type of plugs did you go with?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra S manual: 7.8 L/100 km ... 36.3 mpg (Imp) ... 12.8 km/L ... 30.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I went with NGK Iridiums. This isn't a job I feel like doing again any time soon!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Aaron GE For This Useful Post:

Vaszya (09-01-2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Aaron GE View Post
    I went with NGK Iridiums. This isn't a job I feel like doing again any time soon!
    Lol! I hear ya!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra S manual: 7.8 L/100 km ... 36.3 mpg (Imp) ... 12.8 km/L ... 30.2 mpg (US) ...