Thread: Light bulb burned out in heater controls. Anyone know where to get a replacment?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Light bulb burned out in heater controls. Anyone know where to get a replacment?

My 2015 Micra has two bulbs in the heater controls. One of mine has burned out. It's surprising that the dealer doesn't show the part as replaceable on the parts drawings, which is crazy. The bulb is replaceable, I have pulled one out. The picture is attached.

Anyone know a source the bulb?

Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    can you remove the bulb from the green holder,it should just pull out,it LOOKS to be a pretty standard auto dash bulb with a filament 2 to 3 watts 12v?
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Dealers generally do not offer replacement bulbs or bulb holders. They often only list the entire assembly as the replacement part. Fortunately, you have a few options. Try searching for automotive instrument cluster light bulbs. There are several sources online that will sell you the bulb and bulb holder. If you have no luck, you should be able to find the bulb type silk screened on the glass. Sometimes you have to remove the bulb from the holder in order to find this number. Some are easier to remove than others so take your time.

Dorman is one company that sells replacement bulbs and holders.

I’ve run into this before in older vehicles and have been successful at finding a replacement. Worst case scenario you can always go to the wrecker and pull the assembly and have a few spare bulbs. I’m guessing the bulbs for the speedometer and tachometer as well as those that light up the automatic gearshift are all the same.
    Last edited by JOEMAMA; 05-24-2022 at 06:16 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JOEMAMA For This Useful Post:

MrMicra2015 (05-23-2022)

Thanks
    just FYI that hvac assembly seems to have NO replaceable parts....there may be good advice in looking at spedo/dash bulbs as alternates
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Thanks, there is no replacing the bulb. It's definitely a one-piece assembly (the bulb and the holder). As a backup I bought the whole control assembly on ebay. This should get me two bulbs. I will look for other options too.

I find this is bad news. The bulbs are replaceable in the assembly but they don't offer the replacement bulbs. I find this unforgiveable. I haven't had this with any other make. No more Nissan's for me.
    Last edited by Knightpg; 05-26-2022 at 08:34 AM. Reason: (more details)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightpg View Post
    Thanks, there is no replacing the bulb. It's definitely a one-piece assembly (the bulb and the holder). As a backup I bought the whole control assembly on ebay. This should get me two bulbs. I will look for other options too.

I find this is bad news. The bulbs are replaceable in the assembly but they don't offer the replacement bulbs. I find this unforgiveable. I haven't had this with any other make. No more Nissan's for me.
    Those assemblies are sold as a unit to the manufacturer (in this case Nissan) by the supplier so it’s not uncommon for a manufacturer to not offer a replacement bulb. You won’t likely find another automaker that lists the bulbs separate for these types of assemblies. It’s definitely frustrating, but not Nissan’s fault.

The bulbs are all removable from the plastic holders but it can be a struggle to so do as they are often held in with an adhesive. Usually heating the bulb and holder with a hairdryer or heat gun will soften the adhesive enough to remove the bulb.

I’m glad you found a spare part! While not unheard of, it’s fairly rare for those bulbs to not last the life of the vehicle.

Thanks
    Same happened to my 2018 micra. The car comes with this green POS base+bulb combo which is irreplaceable because you can't find the same assembly anywhere.

However you CAN untwist the little bulb wires off the green base, pull out the blown bulb and replace it with a new bulb or an LED. I recommend you stick to bulbs as LEDs just don't look as good in the controls.

OR BETTER YET just order some T5 twist lock+wedge sockets and some wedge PC74 bulbs. The bulbs you can find at almost any autozone.

https://www.amazon.com/WLJH-Socket-D...dp/B01H3R77F8/

https://www.amazon.com/CEC-Industrie...dp/B00JNFBTF8/
    Attached Images Attached Images  

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarchMicra18 For This Useful Post:

JOEMAMA (05-29-2022),Plutus (05-29-2022)

Thanks
    Thanks for this. It looks like the perfect solution. I wonder why Nissan doesn't do it like this. The idea that the bulb and socket are removable but Nissan doesn't stock the part as a replacement is unacceptable.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightpg View Post
    Thanks for this. It looks like the perfect solution. I wonder why Nissan doesn't do it like this. The idea that the bulb and socket are removable but Nissan doesn't stock the part as a replacement is unacceptable.

Thanks again.
    This truly isn’t unique to Nissan. All automotive brands are the same in this respect. I completely agree that you should be able to replace the bulbs because they’re removable. There are many parts on a vehicle that are individually serviceable but because they are sold as an assembly you cannot get individual replacement parts.