Thread: Very Specific Question - The Coquihalla

Thanks

Very Specific Question - The Coquihalla

I've been driving to the Kootenays from Victoria for the past 6 years. I have driven up the Canyon and along Route 3. As a time-saving measure, I am thinking of driving UP (north on) the Coquihalla next week. I am sure this is going to sound stupid, but..... When I drove south on it last year, I remember thinking, I'm so glad I'm not going north. Time issues this year are making me think about biting the bullet and driving north up that steep, steep, very steep hill. Anyone have experience with this. My 2015 Micra is low mileage and peppy enough, but will we be okay?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to patty For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (05-23-2022)

Thanks
    it should be fine, you may not do 180 but you probably should not anyway.it has over 100 HP and is a small car,strong crosswinds will affect it more, but it a modern car capable of traveling on any modern highway
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMicra2015 For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (05-23-2022),patty (05-23-2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMicra2015 View Post
    it should be fine, you may not do 180 but you probably should not anyway.it has over 100 HP and is a small car,strong crosswinds will affect it more, but it a modern car capable of traveling on any modern highway

Thanks for that reassurance. I remember going up the hills along the Hope-Princeton and some of them were pretty steep so I'll give it a try..... and save an hour off my drive.

EXCEPT if the weather turns bad and it snows (who wudda thunk at the end of May? but this year anything is possible). Then I will do the canyon.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I lived in Kamloops for a number of years and have traveled the Coquihalla more times than I can count......It still was a toll road when I first started driving it.....I've driven the Coq in all manner of vehicles, from a 1980 Honda Civic 1500 GL, a rented Suzuki Swift three cylinder, a 2000 Civic sedan, to a Honda Element....and in all weathers....and the only car I thought I would never want to take on the Coq again was the three cylinder Suzuki....You'll be fine in your Micra.....even with the long steep hills.......The only thing wrong with the Coquihalla is the scenery is not quite as striking as the Canyon route, imho.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra SV automatic: 8.5 L/100 km ... 33.1 mpg (Imp) ... 11.7 km/L ... 27.6 mpg (US) ...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HammyJ For This Useful Post:

patty (05-23-2022)

Thanks
    We used to live in Quesnel. 3 or 4 trips to Vancouver every year through the Canyon. I did it again the year before last.... and it looks so impoverished now. And I haven't been through since the fire that hit Lytton, so don't know if it affected a lot around there. Very sad. But yes, the scenery is magnificent. A beautiful drive.