Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Bought a 2019 Micra SV (chose automatic trans for better efficiency)

Thanks

Just Bought a 2019 Micra SV (chose automatic trans for better efficiency)

I owned a 2017 Micra (SV with 5 speed manual) and absolutely loved the car, but at the time it was too small for my needs so I traded it for a 2021.5 Mazda CX-5. I primary use the vehicle for commuting to work and drive over 40,000km/year (I've been as high as 60,000/year). My wife drives a 2020 Pathfinder SL Rock Creek which we use for towing our camper.

As gas prices have exploded, I have been re-considering my daily driver. I've owned several vehicles over the years, and for some strange reason, I really enjoy the Micra driving experience including winter driving dynamics. I really wanted to buy an electric vehicle and went so far as to put a down payment on a 2022 Nissan Leaf Plus SV. However, after reading about battery degradation I cancelled the order. I looked at other EVs but for one reason or another, I ruled them all out. It seems there are still lots of kinks for all manufacturer's to work out before I'm comfortable taking the plunge.

That brought me back to the Micra. My 2017 was amazing on fuel. The only gripe I ever had with it was not coming equipped with aluminum wheels and that in 5th gear the engine revved like crazy on the highway due to a short 5th gear. So, I just purchased a used 2019 Micra SV (auto) with the Sport Appearance Package. It was put into service in September 2020 and just came off lease with 9000km on the odometer. The car is basically brand new! I pick it up Thursday. I went with the automatic transmission this time around because it has a taller final gear which means I should get better economy.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 04-25-2022 at 01:04 PM. Reason: (added info to title)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JOEMAMA For This Useful Post:

Big black bear (04-26-2022),HammyJ (04-25-2022)

Thanks
    Ha - welcome back to Micra land.

I would have advised getting the manual even though its top gear is more revvy than the slushbox.

In real world driving, the manual gets better fuel economy than the automatic (assuming the driver is shifting for fuel economy), despite revving more in top gear and having essentially the same fuel economy rating.

I've done several head-to-head comparisons of the 5-speed vs. automatic in city & highway driving, and the manual always comes out ahead:

THREAD: Head to head: 2015 Micra manual vs. automatic MPG/fuel economy comparison

THREAD: 2015 Micra fuel economy/mileage test: ecodriving a 5-speed and automatic in Montreal

THREAD: Micra automatic or manual: which should you get for best gas mileage/fuel economy?

---

All that said, the automatic doesn't use all THAT much more fuel than the 5-spd in the big picture, and there's no getting around the fact that the automatic is a less frenetic highway experience due to that lower RPM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Big black bear (04-26-2022),HammyJ (04-25-2022),Vaszya (05-07-2022)

Thanks
    I read those posts before pulling the trigger! I definitely prefer driving a manual transmission, however, my wife not so much. My commute is 90% highway so I'm betting on the automatic closing the gap on fuel economy, but time will tell. I averaged 6.7L/100km over 20,000km with my 2017 Micra but that was with mostly spirited driving. If I could get between 6-6.5L/100km with the automatic, I'd be happy!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JOEMAMA For This Useful Post:

Big black bear (04-26-2022)

Thanks
    90% highway is about the best-case argument for the automatic. It'll be pretty interesting to see how close you get to the manual.

I don't know how much of a nerd you are for the numbers, but I'd love to see how it does. Did you keep a fuel economy log here (or Fuelly?) for your first Micra?

Keep us posted!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    For fuel economy micra is not the best bet. Dont be fooled by its size! Expect to get 7L per 100km on automatic. Yes its an amazing reliable car but not fuel efficient. For efficiency i would go for atkinson cycle engines like kia/hyundai nu engines or at least hybrid.

Thanks
    A lot depends on how/where it's driven.

Believe it or not, the Micra uses the Atkinson cycle! *

* (But only at idle. )

Thread: Continuously variable valve timing (CVTC) on Micra 1.6L HR16DE

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    90% highway is about the best-case argument for the automatic. It'll be pretty interesting to see how close you get to the manual.

I don't know how much of a nerd you are for the numbers, but I'd love to see how it does. Did you keep a fuel economy log here (or Fuelly?) for your first Micra?

Keep us posted!
    I'm not much of a nerd, but I like to keep track of my fuel economy, especially given the cost of gas. I will definitely update the post. My first trip with the car will be about 400km of highway driving, so it will be a good test.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JOEMAMA For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (04-25-2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Plutus View Post
    For fuel economy micra is not the best bet. Dont be fooled by its size! Expect to get 7L per 100km on automatic. Yes its an amazing reliable car but not fuel efficient. For efficiency i would go for atkinson cycle engines like kia/hyundai nu engines or at least hybrid.
    I'm not interested in purchasing a hybrid - they don't offer much in savings for me when I consider the type of driving (highway) and distances I drive. Eventually, I will go full electric once the technology has been refined a bit further.

Given the taller final drive gear in the automatic, I'd be surprised if I can't beat (or at the very least match) the fuel economy of my old Micra.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JOEMAMA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I would have to agree, Plutus......I love my Micra and the only thing that I thought might be better is the fuel economy.....I opted for an automatic transmission, and on the highways and freeway I can achieve 40mpg, but that is the exception....In town, Im happy if get 30mpg....though to be fair, my hometown is a lot of hills.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra SV automatic: 8.5 L/100 km ... 33.1 mpg (Imp) ... 11.7 km/L ... 27.6 mpg (US) ...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HammyJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Translating!

Quote Originally Posted by HammyJ View Post
    on the highways and freeway I can achieve 40mpg
    7.1 L/100 km

In town, Im happy if get 30mpg....

Terrain, traffic, temperature, wind... and the right foot ... all have a big impact.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post: