Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone experienced a"gronching"or"popping" noise when performing hard left turns?

Thanks

Has anyone experienced a"gronching"or"popping" noise when performing hard left turns?

Specifically when turning tight left turns in parkades or parking lots at low speed.....I asked this to be checked out when my car last was serviced at my local Nissan dealership......they found nothing out of the ordinary.....but its been getting worse, especially if the weather is cold out.....I told a friend who is a retired mechanic about it, and he said it sounded like a CV joint to him. Im taking my car in again on Friday and hopefully they can find the problem......Thank god for a 5 year powertrain warranty!.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra SV automatic: 8.5 L/100 km ... 33.1 mpg (Imp) ... 11.7 km/L ... 27.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Sounds like it's a CV axle rubber that split and spilled its grease and it's knocking when turning, I had this before on another car you'll need to either have the axle replaced or get the joint on the shaft rebuilt with a new rubber and new grease.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NBGuy89 For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (02-07-2022)

Thanks
    Thanks...the car was bought almost new a year ago.....It only had 4000 K's on it.....The car was bought at a Chrysler dealership that had purchased it from a Nissan dealership where it had sat apparently since it was brought to Canada......and I suspect it didnt do much good for rubber components to sit that long....I'll report back when I get the car checked out on Friday...Thanks again!....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra SV automatic: 8.5 L/100 km ... 33.1 mpg (Imp) ... 11.7 km/L ... 27.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Cv joint is not covered under powertrain warranty its covered under drivetrain warranty which is 60k km or 3 years in Canada. And next time and in general when you are taking car back from dealership always check if the problem is solved before signing any papers. Its not a practice in Canada but under law nobody can prohibit you checking if the problem for which you took car into mechanic is solved or no.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Plutus For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (02-08-2022)

Thanks
    Thanks Plutus!......I should have done a test myself after they checked it out the first time, and will in future. I am afraid it wont be covered under warranty if it is the CV joints.....and now I heard the right side doing it for the first time ever last night.....I understand the warranty begins from the original manufacture date?.....If so, its going to be very dicey to get this covered under warranty.... Thanks again.....

Thanks
    Warranty starting from date of purchase not from date of manufacture

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Plutus For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (02-11-2022)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I had something similar to that on my 2016 Micra SV. Mileage was about 34,000. The standard brake servicing ( about $135 ) fixed the jangly kind of noise on hard left turns.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rupert Rabbit For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (02-11-2022)

Thanks
    Did you get it solved and what was the actual problem?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GreatWhite For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (02-11-2022)

Thanks
    I asked them to look at both left and right CV joints....everything was in good repair.....boots intact.....no grease leaking....they took it out for a road test, and tried as best they could to find a noise but could not....I told them, again, that it is generally only heard on tight turns, genereally in parking spaces in lots or parkades.....the service rep said the mechanic mentioned it might simply be the sound of the steering linkage hitting the "stops" whatever that means.....anyways I dont think a vehicle with just eighteen thousand km's on it should be making that kind of noise, and will be talking to a Nissan rep at their HQ methinks....

Thanks
    If u hit the limits of steering linkage which u shouldnt will cause noise with any car. What limit is is when u are turning all the way to left or right to the limit u have to back up a little may be 2 degrees from limit point and then proceed with maneuver. Practice that type of driving behavior to save your money on future repairs of toe links, cvs, boots, and steering system in general. Also if in the morning u see fenders are packed with ice and u cant easily break them loose by hitting with foot then try to limit excessive lefts and rights when u are driving out of your garage or driveway to the street. That will help with deformation and breaking of plastic covers and also metal of wheel arcs.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Plutus For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (02-12-2022)