Thread: 2015 Micra headlights won't shut off

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

2015 Micra headlights won't shut off

Noticed the other day that the headlights came on by themselves. Car does not have automatic lights.

I could hear a continuous noise like a quiet buzzer, and the lights flickered on and off. Quite dim, but still on.

I turned the engine on and the noise quit. Turned it off and all was good for a half hour, then the noise and lights came on again.
    I disconnected the battery so that it wouldn't drain.

Any wisdom?

Thanks
    Most likely the relay. But usually when they fail u shouldnt be able to switch high beams. In your case its opposite but i would check the relay or at least tap it with something to see if its affecting noise or issue you are having.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Plutus View Post
    Most likely the relay. But usually when they fail u shouldnt be able to switch high beams. In your case its opposite but i would check the relay or at least tap it with something to see if its affecting noise or issue you are having.
    Thanks for that, I will report back once I have fixed it.

Thanks
    Of course it won't do that again, now that I am watching for it. Might take awhile to diagnose.

Thanks
    I had a very similar problem on my 2015 second day after I bought it used. Headlights came on and stayed on even if the ignition was off and the buzzing sound under the dash. I brought it back to the dealer and they replaced the headlight relay. Never had a problem since. In my case I noticed water on the drivers side floor mat after a night of heavy rain and along with replacing the relay, they resealed the windshield to stop any leaks.

Thanks
    Probably won't solve your problem (though like other comments, it sounds like a relay issue to me from what you described). But the Micra has a hidden trick. If you leave your headlight stock on, when you shut off the ignition, the headlights will automatically turn themselves off after a period of about 60 seconds. If you ignore the buzzer when you open the driver's door (the one to remind you to shut off your headlights), you don't actually have to worry about shutting them off. The only issue with this is that if you leave them on all the time, they'll burn out faster running during the day. But I switched mine to LEDs when I had my Micra. Not exactly proper automatic headlights, but it did the trick for me. It was especially useful when getting ready for work in the morning so I could see the ground around me in the dark using the licence plate light and taillights

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Climping View Post
    Noticed the other day that the headlights came on by themselves. Car does not have automatic lights.

I could hear a continuous noise like a quiet buzzer, and the lights flickered on and off. Quite dim, but still on.

I turned the engine on and the noise quit. Turned it off and all was good for a half hour, then the noise and lights came on again.
    I disconnected the battery so that it wouldn't drain.

Any wisdom?
    Update
    In early February booked appointment - the earliest I could get was for March 1. It took the dealership over three weeks to figure it was, you guessed it, the dtrl relay.

Thanks
    Told u :-)