Thread: Flea :: 1998 Pontiac Firefly (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Flea
    Pontiac
    Firefly
    Black

Barn find entry level Firefly... bought used at 7 years old with 2,000 original km on the clock. Now at ~35,000 km.

Modifications

Various aerodynamic modifications (not shown).

•  

1.0L, 3-cylinder engine, modified with high efficiency camshaft from U.S. Geo Metro XFi model.

5-speed transmission, modified with taller final drive gearset from a 1.3L Suzuki Swift for lower engine RPM in every gear & better fuel economy.

•  
    Comments: 4 / Views: 41570
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The oldest car in the garage! (for now I'm sure) Still in such great shape.

Care to share your best tank's mileage?

Thanks
    Alpha will beat me for oldest car if he posts his K10 Micra in the garage.

Best mileage? That was strictly an experiment to see how high it could go with a low speed "pulse & glide" technique. Over many back-and-forth trips to a cottage on nearly deserted country roads in ideal weather (ie. far from "real world" conditions for the overwhelming majority of drivers) it got 2.3 L/100 km = 104 mpg US = 125 mpg Imp.

Impressive to a fuel economy nerd (such as myself), but not very practical. A fit cyclist on a road bike probably would have beat me to the cottage.

Lifetime average is 3.5 L/100 km, 67 mpg (US), 80.5 mpg (Imp).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Your car looks great. That is a real clean interior.

Thanks
    Thanks!

It's not perfect: there's fuzz missing off the carpet in one of the back footwells from carrying a battery that I didn't know was leaky.

And as of this weekend, the exterior is a bit less nice than it used to be! My dear old dad sideswiped the bumper and front quarter panel at their place on Saturday. Damage is fairly minor: mostly paint scrapes and a couple of small creases in the quarter. But I'd be lying if I wasn't a little disappointed: that's the first "collision" damage on the car. Dad's not the best at reversing... he drives by feel.

But overall, it's in good shape. It hasn't seen much winter use in 17 years, and it won't see any more. I've started using winter beaters to save the Flea.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...