Thread: Check Engine Light 2015 Nissan Micra - P0101

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Check Engine Light 2015 Nissan Micra - P0101

So I was driving my Nissan Micra that's now 6 year old (bought it 2nd hand last year) when I noticed the Check Engine Light came on.

I asked for a friend's error code reader and P0101 "Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem" came up.

Sadly, most mechanics seem to be unavailable these days until January 3rd (great...)

Should I not be driving my car while I have this error until I can bring it to a mechanic? Should I ask the mechanic to check the MAF sensor to see if it still works and if so clean it (since replacing it is costly)?

Should I bring it to a regular mechanic to check on it or to a Nissan dealership?

Any replies are helpful. I did drive the car for small rides since I got the error for the past few days so not sure if that was a bad thing to do.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dar-Kastle View Post
    So I was driving my Nissan Micra that's now 6 year old (bought it 2nd hand last year) when I noticed the Check Engine Light came on.

I asked for a friend's error code reader and P0101 "Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem" came up.

Sadly, most mechanics seem to be unavailable these days until January 3rd (great...)

Should I not be driving my car while I have this error until I can bring it to a mechanic? Should I ask the mechanic to check the MAF sensor to see if it still works and if so clean it (since replacing it is costly)?

Should I bring it to a regular mechanic to check on it or to a Nissan dealership?

Any replies are helpful. I did drive the car for small rides since I got the error for the past few days so not sure if that was a bad thing to do.
    Any updates? I would start with cleaning the MAF sensor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra S manual: 7.8 L/100 km ... 36.3 mpg (Imp) ... 12.8 km/L ... 30.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    So, at first, I made an appointment with a Canadian Tire, who said it would cost me 110 dollars for diagnosis (not even any repair done). Not feeling sure about bringing my car there (especially after reading the reviews), I called a local Point S mechanic who said, if I have an error code reader to try removing the error and then see if it comes back.

Sure enough, it didn't come back and I cancelled my CT appointment. At least, it didn't come back until today (like a good 2 weeks). I will check later to see if it is the same error code. If it is, I'll ask the mechanic to check the MAF sensor and have it cleaned.

Thanks
    So it's error P0101 again. Now I was wondering if anyone could show me where I could find the MAF sensor in the 2015 Micra? Maybe via screenshots or a Youtube video. Been thinking just trying to clean it myself rather than bring it to a mechanic and get overcharged.

Thanks
    I circle it on this pic, bad MAF sensor mean you car is not reading the right amount of air getting in the engine, it can cause stalls and overconsumption of fuel.

Name:  MAF location.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  93.8 KB
    Last edited by NBGuy89; 01-15-2022 at 07:23 PM.

Thanks
    I had this happen frequently when my 2015 Micra was about a year old. The very helpful (ha ha ha) guy in the Nissan service department came out to the car and showed me how to put my gas cap on properly. (And people wonder why women hate dealing with mechanics et al). After about 4 or 5 trips, someone actually did more tests on the car and discovered I think what NB Guy 89 says above.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Your car's engine looks like it came brand new from the factory. Mine's full of winter dirt haha...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dar-Kastle View Post
    Your car's engine looks like it came brand new from the factory. Mine's full of winter dirt haha...
    I wish it was lol just a pic from Google, mines full of salt.

Thanks
    That's why I bought an OBD reader as it'll tell me a lot more than any mechanic.

Thanks
    Well I had the same thing happen recently. Same code. I used MAF sensor cleaner on the MAF sensor after removing it. The CEL came back lit up in the cluster. I called my third party mechanic's son who said said go to Nissan and get the ECU update (they have a Technical Service Bulletin on it) and have that done. They see it all the time.
    I booked it in and had some other work done and the ECU update. All resolved. They charged just the diagnosis fee ($99.00) to do it.
    Original 2015 MAF still in. =)
    I would avoid Canadian tire.
    I do not know the TSB #.

Last edited by GreatWhite; 05-02-2022 at 11:13 AM.