Thread: Nissan Micra Sense

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Nissan Micra Sense

Canadian Snowbird in Mexico... this car is still sold in Mexico but with a different badging.... the Micra in Mexico is known as the Nissan "March". The 2021 March "Sense" (not the cheapest) comes with a 1.6l engine, auto transmission, AC (standard on all models) and keyless locks.. of course a decent radio with Bluetooth and various inputs. Price all taxes and fees in (a curious unknown concept in Canada) about CA $14,500 brand new. Changes for this 2021 year are safety related.. now 6 air bags and ABS braking.

Highway mileage seems unbelievable... According to the built in Scan Gauge, I regularly get over 20km per liter.. 21 if the AC is off. To be fair, the roads here are of the 85kmph variety with topes (speed bumps galore). Fuel economy in town is about 11 or 12km/liter... not so good.

The only gripe I had was the car came with cheap poor quality tires (tread wear rating of only 350) from China.. they got replaced with some Mexican ones of much better quality and a much higher tread wear rating... and being new I quickly sold the Chinese tires at a big discount... they are likely on some old Tsuru (a Mexican traveling coffin)

It's too bad this car is no longer sold in Canada, it's quite popular in Mexico.. this is a good piece of kit, and is so far has been reliable and without issue. With good quality grabby snow tires, tires that give a little more clearance this car would be a good go anywhere winter car.. although it seats 5 it's not ideal for a big family... 1 or 2 kids would be the max.

Then again... it's a $60 grand SUV or F150 grocery getter in every Canadians driveway isn't it... Common sense does not reign supreme...

Thanks
    Yeah its SUV's and Trucks here. Higher profit for the manufactures and higher standard of living provides different choices. Enjoy Mexico.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhite View Post
    Yeah its SUV's and Trucks here. Higher profit for the manufactures and higher standard of living provides different choices. Enjoy Mexico.
    While... not knocking the SUV and 4X4's in Canada... they have their place. and many Mexicans like 'big cars' too... here you don't give the road rage middle finger salute to certain Escalades with darkened windows... if you get the drift.... life could become very short. Being a greenie of sorts.. have solar panels on my roof, I appreciate that my contribution to the carbon problem is minimal all the while I am saving mucho pesos with my Micra gas sipper. What's not to like... It's +25 or so most days and margaritas are 1/2 price at Titos... your welcome anytime.. This ex gopher choker from the CowTown won't be goin back till the COVID madness subsides
    Last edited by MortimerSnerd; 12-28-2021 at 10:56 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    From many videos I watched recently from Mexico I must say the 2021-22 Nissan March, new design, is cute. As this car had been the third more sold car in this country for a while, it's a good strategy for Nissan to keep this model on the market. I also hope it will come back in Canada one day.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    From many videos I watched recently from Mexico I must say the 2021-22 Nissan March, new design, is cute. As this car had been the third more sold car in this country for a while, it's a good strategy for Nissan to keep this model on the market. I also hope it will come back in Canada one day.
    ...unfortunately Calude the marketing of cars is based on profit margins. The highly useful Micra is a great car but if doesn't make Nissan a lot of money.. they assess the market and try to drive drive demand toward the larger more expensive vehicles (less fuel efficient too).. these are more profitable to Nissan. In Canada.

Canadians will spend more so why should Nissan offfer vehicles they sell in other countries for less than half the price in Canada. A Micra (March in Mexico) is sold for between $12,000 and $15,000 new here while used 2 year Micras are pushing $20 grand in Canada.. it's what the market will bear... those prices scare north of the border dealerships who need a huge cash flow to keep afloat.

Like EV's which dealerships eschew, simply because there is no expensive after warranty repairs on them.. how many Chevy Bolts do you see in a GM dealership? .. none.. it's all F150's+... gas guzzlers supreme that are horribly expensive to repair especially after the warranty runs out.

To put it in simple terms Nissan dumped the Micra in Canada because it didn't make them a good profit margin and it diluted the market away from the more expensive and more profitable models such as the Sentra which Nissan felt Canadians could afford and would buy (usually on 5 year financed plans, which yielded even more profit )...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MortimerSnerd View Post
    ...unfortunately Calude the marketing of cars is based on profit margins. The highly useful Micra is a great car but if doesn't make Nissan a lot of money.. they assess the market and try to drive drive demand toward the larger more expensive vehicles (less fuel efficient too).. these are more profitable to Nissan. In Canada.

Canadians will spend more so why should Nissan offfer vehicles they sell in other countries for less than half the price in Canada. A Micra (March in Mexico) is sold for between $12,000 and $15,000 new here while used 2 year Micras are pushing $20 grand in Canada.. it's what the market will bear... those prices scare north of the border dealerships who need a huge cash flow to keep afloat.

Like EV's which dealerships eschew, simply because there is no expensive after warranty repairs on them.. how many Chevy Bolts do you see in a GM dealership? .. none.. it's all F150's+... gas guzzlers supreme that are horribly expensive to repair especially after the warranty runs out.

To put it in simple terms Nissan dumped the Micra in Canada because it didn't make them a good profit margin and it diluted the market away from the more expensive and more profitable models such as the Sentra which Nissan felt Canadians could afford and would buy (usually on 5 year financed plans, which yielded even more profit )...

Well said!

Thanks
    Sent you a PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...