Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The NarfMICRA, My Red 2015 Nissan Micra SR Automatic

Thanks
    Update: Winter Wheels and Tires!

Tools required:

jack
    torque wrench
    13/16 thin wall deep socket (aka spark plug socket)
    inspection light
    wire brush
    antiseize

Happy to report that the "cheap wheels" from 4tires.com are application specific and hub centric!

BEFORE:

and AFTER:

I think the black steel wheels really compliment the red and black scheme.

My wife's 2011 Kia Forte 5 was also treated to new winter tires and wheels this year:

Good Times!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NarfBLAST For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (12-02-2021)

Thanks
    Update: My First Micra Oil Change!

Its been 7000 km since I purchased it, the odometer just crossed a nice round 76,000 km, and I had a couple of hours this morning so I decided to change the oil.

I jacked up both sides of the front of the car a few inches and threw some cardboard down so that I could comfortably reach everything. I used the cheapest oil filter I could find on amazon.ca and the cheapest 5w30 conventional oil I could find Canadian Tire. That should be good enough for the cheapest car in Canada, right?

I also made sure I had the correct copper oil-drain-plug crush-washers on hand. Can you tell what is wrong with the aluminium one I pulled out from this picture?

The problem is not that it is made of aluminium. That probably would have worked just fine. Maybe it is more clear in this picture:

Yeah, that aluminium crush washer is not 10mm. It is more likely 12mm. Also, they crushed the heck out of it.

I have re-used the aluminium crush washer on my wife's Kia Forte many times. The trick is to use the correct sized washer and not crush it so far as to have it extrude around the head of the bolt!!! This washer was the wrong size and completely mangled.

I am not sure if these thin and funky shaped copper ones are re-useable but I did buy a box of ten so I know I am good for 80,000 km.

Glad I stuck to the rule of never start an oil change without three things on hand:

1. replacement oil
    2. replacement filter
    3. replacement crush washer

You never know what the old crush washer is going to look like.

Good times!

edit: *bolts in the pictures are just for illustration of what 10mm looks like and are definetly NOT the oil drain plug* sorry I did not get a picture of the actual drain plug
    Last edited by NarfBLAST; 12-02-2021 at 11:40 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NarfBLAST For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (12-02-2021)

Thanks
    Thanks for your post.....I wont tell you what it cost for my 8000Km oil change at my local Nissan dealer.....but the car is still under warranty, so I'm not taking any chances......The upshot is they include a "free" 16 point inspection.....that found my newly installed snowies had been grossly overinflated by the tire shop that installed them.....I'll trust, but verify, next time.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra SV automatic: 8.5 L/100 km ... 33.1 mpg (Imp) ... 11.7 km/L ... 27.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HammyJ View Post
    Thanks for your post.....I wont tell you what it cost for my 8000Km oil change at my local Nissan dealer.....but the car is still under warranty, so I'm not taking any chances......The upshot is they include a "free" 16 point inspection.....that found my newly installed snowies had been grossly overinflated by the tire shop that installed them.....I'll trust, but verify, next time.....
    Trust No-One!

That is annoying about the over-inflation. It is really important to check. Awesome that your local Nissan dealer does that. It is wise to pay someone to check that for you.

However, if like me you are willing to assume all risks of doing it yourself, here are the aproximate costs including taxes and shipping if applicable:

$20 for replacement oil picked up from Canadian Tire store
    $8 for replacement filter shipped from Amazon.ca
    $2 for each replacement crush washer shipped from Amazon.ca (purchased in a 10 pack for $20)

Total $30 including taxes and shipping.

Yes the crush washers may seem "over-priced", but, the peace of mind they provide is priceless.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NarfBLAST For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (12-02-2021)

Thanks
    Congratulation on the new to you Micra.
    I use a quality synthetic motor oil and a quality filter. A low cost car does not mean cheaping out on maintenance in my opinion, unless you don't plan to keep it. The Micra will last longer than the sibling CVT equipped SUV as the CVT's fail around 120K on average according to my friend who is a senior service manager. Nissan will only replace it one under warranty and then tell you to pound salt if it fails again.
    Last edited by GreatWhite; 12-06-2021 at 11:06 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GreatWhite For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (12-06-2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhite View Post
    Congratulation on the new to you Micra.
    I use a quality synthetic motor oil and a quality filter. A low cost car does not mean cheaping out on maintenance in my opinion, unless you don't plan to keep it.
    I plan to keep it a very long time. I am really enjoying my new daily driver. I just can't see the advantage of a fancy oil in a basic engine.

It was fairly cold firtst thing this morning so I made "one of those" videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npznaAIiduw

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NarfBLAST For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (01-03-2022)

Thanks
    Thanks for your post......I am coming up to a years ownership of my 2019 Micra, and the past two weeks has been its first real taste of winter.....I have to say I am extremely impressed with its cold starting......-10C...at times....most unusual temperatures for the Fraser Valley in BC, even for this time of year. The car fired up immediately, each and every time......the traction with my Michelin snowies was incredible too......I sailed past numerous trucks and cars that started to lose traction on the steep hills in my town...and if I did start to slide a bit, the traction control system kicked in and the car was back on track....My love affair with the Micra continues.....I'm just sorry I didnt purchase one sooner.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra SV automatic: 8.5 L/100 km ... 33.1 mpg (Imp) ... 11.7 km/L ... 27.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I was away for 2 weeks from Victoria and when I came home, my 2015 Micra started just fine (I am so pleased). It is the second battery but has been in the car since it was 6 months old, so about 7 years now. Quite surprised. Great car.

Last oil change, got a partial synthetic blend which Kal Tire assures me is far better for my car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to patty For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (01-26-2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HammyJ View Post
    .....the traction with my Michelin snowies was incredible too......I sailed past numerous trucks and cars that started to lose traction on the steep hills in my town...and if I did start to slide a bit, the traction control system kicked in and the car was back on track....My love affair with the Micra continues.....I'm just sorry I didnt purchase one sooner.....
    We've been hearing about your weather out there in BC and we hope you are okay. Here in Ontario we have been lucky to have an extrememly mild winter so far...

YES! The traction control system is amazing! Good tires really help the system work too.

This morning I spotted a fresh clear patch of ice (no salt, no sand) so I pulled the Micra onto it for an experiment.
    I took a breath and applied moderate throttle and immediately started to pull away (with a loud racket of ABS preventing wheel spin). I even turned the steering wheel and the car went exactly where I pointed it.

You know you've got a great car when continues to inspire confidence and bring you joy every chance it gets.

I really loved my 2001 VW Golf (I kept it for 20 years!) but it had zero traction control. It was extremely stable and predictable but with an open differential if one wheel lost traction you weren't moving, also it was possible to just break both front tires loose and understeer like crazy. Handbrake turns in the ice and snow were fun tho.

I have tried the Micra's handbrake in the ice and snow in our long curvy driveway and it is possible to get the car nice and sideways. A couple of times the little Micra has gotten really angry at me, espcially if I pull the handbrake to slide the back end out then give a little throttle, it will makes ALL THE ABS NOISES and it feels like a giant hand reaches down and grabs the car preventing it from rotating or moving forward for a split second. As soon as the back end stop sliding it gives you back control with a hell of a hammering noise from the ABS system that sounds like it is going to shatter all the brake pads to pieces. I assume this is normal? It feels extremely safe.

When I remember to turn traction control off I can drift the whole driveway in the snow.

Good times!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NarfBLAST For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (01-26-2022)