Thread: Another redundant statement in owners manual.

Thanks

Another redundant statement in owners manual.

From micras owner manual:
    “ Using unleaded gasoline with an octane rating lower than recommended can cause persistent, heavy “spark knock.” (“Spark knock” is a metallic rapping noise.) If severe, this can lead to engine damage.If you detect a persistent heavy spark knock even when using gasoline of the stated octane rating,or if you hear steady spark knock while holding a steady speed on level roads,it is recommended that you have a NISSAN dealer correct the condition. Failure to correct the condition is misuse of the vehicle,for which NISSAN is not responsible. Incorrect ignition timing may result in spark knock,after-run and/oroverheating, which may cause excessive fuel consumption or engine damage. If any of the above symptoms are encountered,have your vehicle checked. It is recommended that you visit a NISSAN dealer for servicing.

However, now and then you may notice light spark knock for a short time while accelerating or driving uphills.This is not a cause for concern,because you get the greatest fuel benefit when there is light spark knock for a short time under heavy engine load.”

First and second part of the statement doesnt go together.

Hypothetically if we consider this scenario:

What if you are driving to work at increasing steep angle? Lets say i live in area where to reach to work i have to drive 20km uphill. Angle starts to increase 1 degree at each km km and im carrying maximum recommended load in the vehicle and because of environment in that area there is wind blowing at 35-40km/h in opposite direction of my driving direction. So that means i have uphill+gradual acceleration to compensate for wind and increasing angle of the steep. It falls it first statement or 2nd? And am i now misusing the vehicle as per first statement in manual and am out of warranty?

It’s just saying if you notice knock, increase octane rating.
    But you should not have a problem. It should kick down a gear.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    but its designed for 87 octane and its the cheapest gas u can buy.???

its saying a little pinging is ok but a big banging is gonna toast the bearings and no free engine 4 u

or u could kick it down a gear..easier with manual

Last edited by MrMicra2015; 03-22-2021 at 10:28 PM.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!