Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Misfire after 1-2 hours of operation in chilly weather.

Thanks

Unhappy Engine Misfire after 1-2 hours of operation in chilly weather.

Alright guys. Here is a real head scratcher.

Symptoms. Started around September October last year when the weather got colder.
    Engine would start to shake, idle would drop, misfire could be heard from the exhaust.
    After running for maybe and hour ish or more, the misfire would begin.
    Once after 2 hours of operation, after parking for a min and trying to start again, the engine would rotate but would be hard to start.
    With enough throttle mashing it would rev up.
    One time the engine turned off completely while I was stopped at a stop sign.
    but.. if I turned the car off, opened the hood, let it cool off. starts right up in 10 minutes like nothing happened.

Possible causes would be with the Fuel, spark, and Air.

so. I went ahead and changed the plugs, very tedious process. and changed the air filter. cleared the codes, but the misfire still persists.
    I don't drive that hard or long anymore (it would be for 3 hour delivery shifts) so not a problem but still.

The next possible cause could be the ignition coils. Even on Rockauto, its not something I want to buy 4 of only to find out that wasn't the case.

Is there a way to check the ignition coils while the manifold is off?

I thought of swapping the ignition coils on the cylinders with each other, but it wont give me a definitive solution. Plus the whole removal of the intake is not something I want to do more than once.

Anyone had a similar issue, have any tips on diagnosing the misfire when its not the air or plugs.

Again, symptoms begin at temperatures under 15 degrees C, after 1 or 2 hours of operation, and cease when I shut the engine off, open the hood and let it cool off.

Thanks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pinehole For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (03-18-2021)

Thanks
    What scanners says? There could be tons of causes from clogged filter of in tank fuel pump all the way up to ecm.
    Coils can do that too. Intake valve solenoid can do that too. Fuel pump because of low pressure (most noticable symptom when engine is running rough when u have 1/4 gas left in the tank and when fillup problem goes away), cracked coils (when overheated board inside starting to expand and increase resistance in the traces when cooled down returns to its shape), injectors, etc . There are tons of things that can cause that i would recommend taking to someone with good scanner to diagnose the issue. Then to save money you change the quoted part by yourself.

But usually parts are not failing by themselves there should be pre something that after that problems start to arise. May be engine bay was washed may be someone got into the engine and did some work on it. May be you decide to fillup in a strange gas station etc.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Plutus For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (03-18-2021)

Thanks
    u need a scan tool sometimes the check engine light wont come on plus u can monitor batt voltage, fuel trim,coolant temp etc u need a scan tool....what was the freezeframe data when it threw the code ?...ALWAYS write down the freeze frame data.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    I've had the same issue (including death at a stop), happens months apart. No codes, then about 2 months later an O2 code (one was dead and making me run rich) - replaced both, it's been less than a year and is happening again (just the once last night). Still no code. Outside of an O2 sensor, possibilities are plug / boot / coil since for me it's only occurring at idle and goes away with any throttle input. I have new boots with the spring and fuse, so that might be my weekend job.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    YIKES!

it restarts right away ? if dead at a stop?
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Pinehole - any update on the problem with your car?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    those problems make me nervous!
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    Feb 2015 build

Thanks
    @metroMPG . still pending. I compared ignition coils on rockauto with the versa, and they were the same part. Called the junk yard and they had nothing. deciding my buying options.
    Also just had both front bearings replaced with an ABS sensor, so this was on the backburner.

Thanks
    Thanks for the update.

cleared the codes, but the misfire still persists.
    Do you remember what the codes were? Might help others if they experience similar problems.

Also: have you searched on the Versa forums? Same HR16DE engine (as you already know) built in the same factory, so it's possible owners may have reported the same issue there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pinehole View Post
    Alright guys. Here is a real head scratcher.

Symptoms. Started around September October last year when the weather got colder.
    Engine would start to shake, idle would drop, misfire could be heard from the exhaust.
    After running for maybe and hour ish or more, the misfire would begin.
    Once after 2 hours of operation, after parking for a min and trying to start again, the engine would rotate but would be hard to start.
    With enough throttle mashing it would rev up.
    One time the engine turned off completely while I was stopped at a stop sign.
    but.. if I turned the car off, opened the hood, let it cool off. starts right up in 10 minutes like nothing happened.

Possible causes would be with the Fuel, spark, and Air.

so. I went ahead and changed the plugs, very tedious process. and changed the air filter. cleared the codes, but the misfire still persists.
    I don't drive that hard or long anymore (it would be for 3 hour delivery shifts) so not a problem but still.

The next possible cause could be the ignition coils. Even on Rockauto, its not something I want to buy 4 of only to find out that wasn't the case.

Is there a way to check the ignition coils while the manifold is off?

I thought of swapping the ignition coils on the cylinders with each other, but it wont give me a definitive solution. Plus the whole removal of the intake is not something I want to do more than once.

Anyone had a similar issue, have any tips on diagnosing the misfire when its not the air or plugs.

Again, symptoms begin at temperatures under 15 degrees C, after 1 or 2 hours of operation, and cease when I shut the engine off, open the hood and let it cool off.

Thanks.
    I had a problem that seems similar maybe 2 years ago. It was during summer if I recall right, I went on to turn on my car and the engine would shake. I turned off immediately thinking it might cause some kind of damage... Turned it back on after speaking with dealer and my dad, ended up bringing it in the dealer. No check engine light which seemed odd to me.

Ended up being a costly reparation of like 500$, they changed the timing valve (which I still don’t know what it is lol. I know my way around the basics of an engine but never heard of these).

Hope you don’t have to get that reparation! If so, maybe not go to the dealer. Good luck!