Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driver Side A pillar Water Leak at Top. (Update: solved.)

Thanks

Driver Side A pillar Water Leak at Top. (Update: solved.)

Noticed a few weeks ago that the headliner on my 2016 (purchased Jan 2017) was wet just above the A pillar plastic cover. I used a napkin to absorb the moisture thinking maybe it was water coming in through an open window, but the wetness returned.
    I believe its the windshield seal at the top upper corner that's leaking so called a glass shop & they estimated 400$
    to remove & re-install the windshield but warned it could break so Id have that added cost.
    They suggested a local shop that specialized in leak repairs & suggested I contact Nissan Canada 1st even though my 3 year warranty is up.
    I phoned Nissan Canada & they said I needed to see a Nissan dealer to verify the problem is real & created a case number.
    I phoned the closest Nissan Dealer & spoke with the Service Manager who was dismissive at 1st saying Nissan
    never compensated windshield seal issues after warranty & if I brought it in they would charge for the leak test & any repairs made & then I would be on my own with Nissan Canada.
    I was told it would be better to go to my initial dealer also, except I mentioned I will never take my car there again
    after receiving poor service there & I was planning to use their dealership in future.
    I mentioned the car had always been maintained by only Nissan & that the windshield was original & no visible damage & that seemed to change his attitude after he verified the Nissan service records.
    I was told to bring the car in for a free leak test, which the Manager decided wasn't needed as it was probably
    just condensation under the headliner & that the carpets should be soaked (which they are not) & to monitor.
    I had the car sitting outside & after a heavy rain the liner was wet again & the interior was bone dry, no wet floor mats etc. to cause internal condensation so I took the car back yesterday.
    They had a technician come out & he commented "its soaked" when I showed him the inside of the headliner after pulling away the moulding & I also mentioned the passenger side was bone dry at the same position.
    The technician commented that it could be a windshield seal or body seam that is not under the rubber strip but closer to the edge of the roof.
    I have applied duct tape to the suspected leak area (seems to stop any further leaking) & they plan to do a bubble test with compressed air next Tuesday.
    Wish me luck!

Attached Images Attached Images    

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jimwilly For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-25-2021)

Thanks
    Well that sucks. My bestie has an Altima that is around ten years old, and she had the same experience.....but it leaked so badly it got her passenger seat soaking wet. Her friendly mechanic(non Nissan) found the source of the leak and was able to repair it with sealant. I hope they are able to fix your problem.....Good luck!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra SV automatic: 8.5 L/100 km ... 33.1 mpg (Imp) ... 11.7 km/L ... 27.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=23641

Found this thread today about the same apparent issue on a Leaf out of warranty. 80% of costs covered by Nissan would be Ok
    By me.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jimwilly For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (02-07-2021)

Thanks
    Gotta love the internet!.......Hopefully Nissan does right by you, and I would agree that 80% of costs covered would be fair.....especially since your vehicle is only four years old.....If Nissan is trying to rebuild(no pun intended) their reputation for quality they should do the repair no questions asked. What other car manufacturers windshields leak after four years?....I suspect zero. My friends vehicle is 10 plus years old, and has never been garaged, so I could perhaps see a windshield leak after 10 plus years...but obviously the fix was easy. Let us know how you make out.....Good Luck!......

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra SV automatic: 8.5 L/100 km ... 33.1 mpg (Imp) ... 11.7 km/L ... 27.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    You both are missing one point 80% coverage was done by nissan USA not nissan Canada!
    If you will take time to investigate difference in nissan us vs nissan Canada you will see that later one absolutely doesnt care about anything. Its not only nissan but other manufacturers too the ones in usa are providing more help or at least some reasonable explanation than ones in Canada. Why? Because here most of the people just dont want to go all the way to court if they know they are right. They just eat the cost and rude behavior of companies. Thats the main reason.

U can say they have lemon law south of the border and we dont but thats not the case people dont want to fight for their rights.

I personally gone through few of that type of cases and can say from my experience it’s definitely worth it even if its 10$ unfairness you have to fight for that. At least at the end you will feel better for years.

So even though i doubt that OP will go till the end but start from BBB, then consumer protection agency, then take it to MTO for inspection to confirm its manufacturer defect right from factory which showed up right after warranty period or may be it showed signs of leak but upholstery cloth was able to absorb slowly all the leaks within warranty period then right after you start to see it. There are many many ways to prove manufacturer defect which will take time and effort.
    Or you can go easy way either pay to be fixed or ductape or calking or something.

Hope you got the point .

Thanks
    Just an update, Took the car to my closest dealer & they spent about 2 hours testing for leaks at no charge.
    I was shown a video the Service Advisor had on his phone showing a big bubble forming in the soap
    at the corner of the windshield/black roof strip.
    Now it seems the black strips Do cover the body seams, not hidden underneath as I was told on my previous service visit. I saw the white fabric covered tube under the headliner & now know its part of the side airbag, glad I didnt mess with it.
    Since the Service Manager is away for a week or two I was told they would get back to me on what may or may not
    happen next. It appears no one there was willing to do anything more at that time.
    I have attached an excerpt of the service record stating the leak is at the Body seam & would need body shop repairs.
    BTW I am fully aware the previous link I provided was for a USA Leaf but it felt it was worth mentioning as the
    owner documented how they managed to get their leak resolved & the Leaf probably shares many of the same manufacturing processes as our Micra's.
    Just trying to share information.......there may be others in this Forum who could be facing the same situation.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jimwilly For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (02-11-2021),MetroMPG (02-25-2021),MrMicra2015 (02-13-2021)

Thanks
    Another update: After watching a few Youtube videos decided to remove the black roof strip on the drivers side.
    It was pretty dirty under there & initially didn't see anything wrong until I started cleaning more & eventually found a
    pin hole in the sealant. The grey stuff on the roof is Duct tape residue.
    I warmed/cleaned the area with a hair dryer & applied a dab of RTV sealant(expired of course)
    I'm going to leave the strip off for now & see what happens when it rains next.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jimwilly For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (02-11-2021),MetroMPG (02-25-2021),MrMicra2015 (02-13-2021),Plutus (02-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thats a defect man! Nissan must cover it under warranty. Thats called perforation corrosion warranty which is 60months unlimited km as far as i remember.
    Its one of 2 either they can call it rust through (perforation corrosion) or defect in workmanship. Whatever they will be confortable calling it its fully their responsibility.

Now anything will help there rtv, caulking, hydrocement , gum :-))) anything that will fit into that hole.

May be its a good idea to go back to the dealership and explain what u did with pictures and kinda show them that its warrantable thing. Ideally they have to replace the body :-)))) may be nissan will be happy to credit you for oil change if you will promise to forget about that hole.
    Thanks for update good job
    Last edited by Plutus; 02-10-2021 at 11:06 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Plutus For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (02-11-2021)

Thanks
    perforation corrosion need to perforate...the fact the airbag had a water stain is your best bet. I think they are going to be jumpy about leaving you with a waterstained airbag (if they arent now...you could try and make them...i would guess it wont take much.)..i would GUESS when nissan canada gets hold of that it will all be free with new airbag...its the safety airbag thing you got "lucky" on
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMicra2015 For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (02-15-2021),Plutus (02-13-2021)

Thanks
    Name:  29E7B8AC-3623-4BEC-9CDB-BD975F71ABB6.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  12.0 KB
    I thought that if the result is a hole so perforation corrosion is the closest statement to follow.
    But pushing with safety things definitely is much better.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Plutus For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (02-15-2021)