Thread: Removing your dash and HVAC box to repair your blend door!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Removing your dash and HVAC box to repair your blend door!

Hello everyone,

I went for a drive to beautiful B.C. down highway 93 last December. As it turns out it was below zero on the day that we were headed out. When attempting to turn up the heat in our Micra the blend door knob was effectively stuck and wouldn't actuate the blend door to create heat in the cabin. I forced the knob all the way to the heat side to attempt to get something out of it and felt/heard a pop noise from something. Alas no heat for the drive out or the return journey.

I started taking things apart around Christmas to see what I could find. I ended up breaking the nylon gears in the climate control cluster. and stretching the cable to actuate the blend door itself. I suppose the writing was on the wall as I bent the cable back in 2018 when I switched to heat for the winter and bent the cable then. I ended up curling it around a pen and soldering it together so it would no longer pull apart.

This wasn't a very difficult job as far as technical skills involved, however it required a good time commitment and decent space to layout parts and pieces and put it all back together.

I didn't document things coming apart this time. I started documenting as I started reassembly. I am going to try to reverse that and post in how it would all be removed from step one onwards.

Hopefully this helps someone if they are in the same boat. Or maybe if you are bored on a Saturday and want something to read.

Some tools that you will need,

standard sockets 8mm,10mm,12mm,13mm,14mm,19mm
    open end wrench specifically a 22mm
    phillips screwdrivers, I believe it is a number 2
    Large and small flathead screwdrivers, mostly for popping clips and airbag connectors.
    Flashlight/headlamp/floodlight ETC Small and portable is better.
    Steering wheel puller ($20 from just about any auto parts store, CT also has them)
    Needle nose pliers

Optional tools would be;
    panel popping tools, ($10 from Princess auto)
    90degree pliers and long reach pliers (cheap also from princess)
    windshield wiper puller
    OBDII scanner (for maybe resetting codes afterwards)
    battery trickle charger depending on how long your car is disassembled for.
    Last edited by Bobaganousch; 01-31-2021 at 08:32 PM.
    N/A Subaru Addict...
    First Nissan Commuter

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobaganousch For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-25-2021)