Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Tire Thread -- Buying!

Thanks

Another Tire Thread -- Buying!

My tire size is 185/60R/15. I am going to buy all-weather tires.

The garage where I usually go (not the dealer) has Kumho Solus HA31 in stock and the price is reasonable. My daughter has Nokian tires on her truck and recommends them, but not carried at my shop. Although I can get them elsewhere in town that is less convenient for me. I thought I wanted Toyo Celsius but they seem to be hard to get.

Does anyone have an opinion on any of these? Kumho gets generally good reviews, but a few awful ones. Nokian gets very good reviews. Toyo has mixed reviews.

Since my original factory tires are sliding all over the road, I'm sure any of these will be better, but would like some personal experience if possible.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I'm not a huge fan of all season tires, but I see you're in Victoria. Unless it's an unusually cold winter, and things freeze over, the Kumhos would probably be more than adequate.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4Aaron GE For This Useful Post:

IMPUL (03-16-2021),patty (01-18-2021)

Thanks
    all seasons in winter kinda suck.....another school of thought maybe to run "snowtires" all year....good water evacuation, increased wear (bad)...i have absolutely no affiliation with "pmc tire"...but the prices are low and shipping is astronomically low....ive started running "snow" tires all year round on mags .....the only downside is the wearrate...if u put on 100k a year its not an option...basically u should not be paying more than 100 dollars a tire x 4 =400$....people will disagree with this but im no brand loyal..if i see a good tread i'll buy it for cheap....for gods sakes dont fall into the "changing tires onto rims every year" ploy...it cost about 20 dollars a tire to flip them...give some thought to "cheap snow tires all year"
    Last edited by MrMicra2015; 01-14-2021 at 12:10 AM.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMicra2015 For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (03-24-2021),IMPUL (03-16-2021),patty (01-18-2021)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I put Nokian all season with snowflake on mountain on my Hyundai Accent. They were so much better in every way than the Kumho tires the car came with. Better in the rain and better in the snow. Also quieter in all conditions. As the were slightly taller than the Kumhos it was like having slightly taller gears. I understand that Kal Tire has the exclusive in BC on these tires and they are not cheap. Kal Tire is where have gone for anything tire related for 25 years and would go nowhere else. Check out Kal Tire on the web for prices.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rupert Rabbit For This Useful Post:

MrMicra2015 (01-17-2021),patty (01-17-2021)

Thanks
    I'm not sure about taking advice from someone known as Rupert Rabbit but ha ha ha.... but, after another talk with my daughter this weekend, who also raves about both the Nokian and the service from the KalTire in Cranbrook, I think I will be going with those.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I have heard nothing but good reviews about Kaltire also...for all we know Rupert could be a tire design engineer in his spare hopping time!!
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMicra2015 For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (03-25-2021),patty (01-18-2021)

Thanks
    Finally got my new tires today. Nokian WGR4 - all weather tires. Ride seems good, they grip the road well (although I have only done city driving today with them) and, most important, they LOOK so much more impressive than the original Bridgestones (?) Kinda turns my Micra into a muscle car ---- if you have a very vivid imagination.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patty For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (03-15-2021),IMPUL (03-16-2021)

Thanks
    I purchased 4 Michelin X-Ice Snow tires today from Canadian Tire...they were reduced by 25%...so I got the tires for $110 a piece, and will mount them on cheapy rims later....I declined all the Canadian Tire add ons that inflate the price of their tires considerably, so I think I got a pretty good deal. I phoned my Nissan dealer(who claimed to have the best prices on tires....My former Honda dealer, did) and the parts rep said that his cost was more than that. It will be interesting to see if these snow tires perform as well as they have been rated. What I would like to ask viewers of this august forum, is what would be the best pick for replacing the stock Firestone FR 710 P185/60R15's all seasons when it comes time to replace them. Ive been pretty impressed with the Firestones thus far....and might consider them as replacement tires.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra SV automatic: 8.5 L/100 km ... 33.1 mpg (Imp) ... 11.7 km/L ... 27.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    You probably won't need to replace the Firestones for 6 or 7 years, and there could be totally different tires around by then. I replaced mine after 6.5 years mainly because I have decided to keep my Micra for several more years and figured I may as well have new tires right now, especially as I will be driving across the province next month. If I were just hanging around Victoria, probably could have waited another year or two (even the tire guy said that they were okay).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to patty For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (03-25-2021)

Thanks
    Thanks Patty......Its good to know about the Firestones lasting so long..... I guess I'll have to wait a while to replace the standard rims with alloy wheels......I have been on a quest for 15 inch alloy wheels that came with the optional style package on the SV, (and were made standard on the S model for a time to boost sales) but to no avail....16 inch alloy wheels that were standard on the SR are easy to come by, both through auto wreckers and Nissan itself.....but no luck on the 15 inch ones. They are available used on Ebay from the UK at a reasonable price, but shipping of course, costs the earth. I may have better luck with Mexican salvage yards. I'm glad to hear you are pleased with your Nokian tires....something to think about when it comes time to replace these current boots.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra SV automatic: 8.5 L/100 km ... 33.1 mpg (Imp) ... 11.7 km/L ... 27.6 mpg (US) ...