Thread: 16 inch wheels and speedometer calibration

Thanks

16 inch wheels and speedometer calibration

I like the look of the 16 inch mags on the SR micra and wonder if I get them for my S trim micra do I have to make changes to speedo for mileage calculation.

Thanks
    Nope, you'll be fine if you stick with the stock 16" tire size

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra S manual: 7.8 L/100 km ... 36.3 mpg (Imp) ... 12.8 km/L ... 30.2 mpg (US) ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Vaszya For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-29-2020)

Thanks
    Dont worry about mileage calculations. Worry about weight of 16” wheels and offset. Agree with @Vaszya put oem 16” ones if u want, not any.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Plutus For This Useful Post:

Vaszya (12-23-2020)

Thanks
    Thank you both for the reply. So no worries with regard to mileage errors but weight of the rims is a concern? I'll stick to the OEM rims if you think there's danger in other manufacture's product. I'm unsure about offset meaning in this regard. Does this have to do with rim bolt configuration?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse1d View Post
    Thank you both for the reply. So no worries with regard to mileage errors but weight of the rims is a concern? I'll stick to the OEM rims if you think there's danger in other manufacture's product. I'm unsure about offset meaning in this regard. Does this have to do with rim bolt configuration?
    Essentially, he meant that if you're choosing aftermarket rims, you want to choose the lightest rim possible. Stock 16" mags are a bit on the heavy side, but perfectly acceptable for a swap

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra S manual: 7.8 L/100 km ... 36.3 mpg (Imp) ... 12.8 km/L ... 30.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Thanks
    Hope this is some helpful information...

SR rims are 4x100 6Jx16 ET55 (4x100 bolt pattern, 6" wide, 16" diameter, +55 offset) and SR tires are 185/55R16.

S and SV rims are 4x100 5.5Jx15 ET50 and the tires are 185/60R15

Both sizes end up being almost the exact same outside diameter, so the speedo calibration isn't really affected (about 1.1%, but nothing real-world noticeable).

They have a hub-centric centre bore of 60.1mm (the hole in the centre of the wheel, 60.1mm is a Nissan standard size).

With aftermarket wheels, you'll need to make sure you get the correct hub-centric adapter rings to fit. Aftermarket wheels usually have a larger hub bore so they can fit lots of different cars. Any decent tire shop will have the right ones.

Search the wheel fitment thread(s) on here for lots more info.

This link explains wheel offset:
    https://www.tsw.com/explore-tsw-cust...eel-offset.php

The site below lets you plug in different wheel/tire size combos to see if they'll fit. Great tool, worth a look:
    https://www.willtheyfit.com/

Here's the basic Canadian market specs for the K13 Micra:
    https://www.wheel-size.com/size/nissan/micra/2017/

Name:  Micra Specs.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  83.2 KB
    Last edited by shrugsarefree; 12-24-2020 at 02:31 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shrugsarefree For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-29-2020),Vaszya (12-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thank you "shrugsarefree" for the detailed information, very helpful!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse1d View Post
    Thank you "shrugsarefree" for the detailed information, very helpful!
    You're welcome!

By the way, FWIW I'm pretty sure a 17x7.5 +42 wheel and a 205/50-17 tire will fill out the Micra's arches really well and shouldn't cause any fit or rub issues, even with lowering.

The size change increases OD, -2% speedo, so again, not a real world issue speedo-wise... There's a thread on here somewhere about how the speedo might be off as much as 5kph over actual speed anyway.

I'm not sure I would go any bigger. Obv smaller is fine.

The main issue folks usually have when fitting wheels is offset, it's really important to get it right to avoid clearance issues on the inner and outer fenders and the strut(s)...

Plus the right offset when fitting aftermarket wheels looks rad, which is important, haha.

Also, if you're interested, I've fitted 15mm spacers to my car with the SR wheels... Really makes a noticeable improvement IMO (the pics don't show it that well sadly).

No issues whatsoever and they push the wheels out nicely. I'm sure 20mm would be fine too.

Remember that the fender to tire gap is smaller on the front of our cars than the rear... I mention it because I don't recommend using larger spacers on the back to 'even' the gap as it will increase the already massive amount of understeer the Micra was born with.

Suspension geometry is voodoo and wizardry and it's best not to mess with it too much unless you really know your stuff.

Last edited by shrugsarefree; 12-24-2020 at 03:44 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shrugsarefree For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-29-2020),Vaszya (12-26-2020)