Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first post! thinking of possible getting a micra..some info/advice pls...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

first post! thinking of possible getting a micra..some info/advice pls...

Hi everyone, fab here. recently i've been looking around at getting a second, summer/fun car. i'm really interested in these smaller cars. i've been considering a fiat 500, as it has a cool style. From what i heard, they seem to be okay, but do suffer some suspension issues.

i then came onto the micra. i find that it's a cool looking car, and seems fun to drive (from reviews), i assume good on gas (prices will go up in the coming years).

in general are they reliable cars (engine wise)? i would most likely get a manual transmission, as for a small car i think it would be more fun to drive, plus would get more out of the engine?

does it take regular or premium fuel? (i know the fiat takes premium)?

as far as trim levels go...does top trim come with leather seats? A/C?

in terms of mods....are there any out there for this car? any cold air intakes? if any of you have done mods, what have you noticed helped?

in terms of body pannels, do they tend to rust quickly (we got salty roads here in winter)?

can it hold a family of 4 (2 young children below 13) comfortably? (i do know fiat is tight in the back).

thanks
    fabs

Thanks
    All Micra's are powered by a 1.6L DOHC engine, they tend to not like extreme cold so a block heater is a plus for these cars, as for trims the Micra comes as the S, SV and the SR none of which has leather upholstry they only have different fabrics. here are the main difference on the trims.

Micra S: The only trim that comes with a manual transmission, but is almost a barebone car, no A/C no cruise control no power window (you get an old school crank) no power mirror, you do get a backup camera (depending on the year I think 2017 till 2019 as them), 2 way seats and 15'' steelies.
    It does have the option for an automatic transmission and comes with cruise and AC.

Micra SV: Automatic transmission, better seat fabric, cruise, AC, power windows and mirrors, 6 position driver seat with armrest (S model seat does not have an armrest), backup camera and if the style package was applied it comes with a rear spoiler and 15 inch alloy wheels.

Micra SR: Automatic transmission only (I seen a few rare manual SR's) 16'' alloy wheels, even better seat fabric, all the option of the SV plus fog lights, side skirts, chrome trim and rear spoiler.

As for the body panels, as long as you have it undercoated properly for winter and cleaning it regularly, rust and corrosion won't be an issue, where I live (Moncton NB) they spray a brine on the roads for winter and undercoating is almost a must for that kind of salt.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other question on the Micra.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NBGuy89 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-17-2020)

Thanks
    NBguy, thanks for getting back to me. I did a search on a couple Canadian site, and found that it does come in manual transmission on all trims?
    I think the SR would be the trim i would look for.
    In terms of engine, do you find it's peppy enough? I know off the bat it's got about 8hp more than fiat, pretty good! Has yours been reliable? Any issues?
    Does it have a timing belt or chain?
    Thanks
    Fab

Thanks
    It depends on the year you’re looking for. From 2015-2018, you could get a manual in upper trims. In 2019, you could not. Everything above the S is only available with an automatic for 2019.

For this reason, I picked up a used 2017 SV with a manual because I didn’t want the automatic. There are tons of lightly used low mileage Micras out there and some are priced really well!

Thanks
    No problems starting at extreme cold (-42) last winter. Mine is always parked outside never had starting issue.

Thanks
    Good to know. I too was taken a back with the cold starting.
    As far as driving habits/conditions... i know it's a smaller car, but does it feel light/flimsy on the road? Do crosswinds/ big trucks passing you make the car squirrelly? Tossed around?
    Thanks
    FAb

Thanks
    Here you can find some answers to your questions.

https://micra-forum.com/showthread.p...ew-of-my-Micra

Thanks
    I bought my Micra SV new in jan 2015. Coincidentally we also took a fiat for a test drive when we bought and the Micra was just more fun and had more room inside. One of my biggest pet peeves when we bought it was they listed the stereo as bluetooth, but its only bluetooth calling, not audio. I believe that's what the SR included, not 100% sure and I don't know what other years/models have in them. I currently have about 125k on it. Its my daily to and from work etc. I love it. The small size makes it easy to get around town for parking etc. as our other vehicle is the much bigger Nissan Titan. It easily cruises along with traffic on the highway and because you sit up high in it it doesn't really feel small to me on the inside or next to an 18 wheeler. I've had very few problems with it. Aside from the regular maintenance I had the exhaust come apart about mid way back at a flange but I fixed it myself, and brakes a while back. No other issues. Its awesome in the snow due to its light weight and small size with a set of aggressive winter tires, which came with it when we bought. Mines a manual and It has pretty good acceleration for a small car and has good gas mileage on regular gas. I do feel cross winds on the highways when its really windy out, but not enough that I have ever been concerned, or felt flimsy, I just could feel it. I lowered it last year which did help with handling and cross winds but small sacrifice for ride comfort. I actually prefer the more road feel, but some people (my wife) find it stiffer. I found the stock height made it a bit tall and narrow feeling. I mostly did it for aesthetic reasons though.
    There are lots of mods available for it including cold air intake. Some of the parts are harder to source given that there is no US market, but it is almost identical mechanically to the Versa, and other parts can be sources from over seas where they have lots of stuff.
    I've never had any issues starting it. Through the below -30's it always started right up. It did come with a block heater but since I work nights I don't have the luxury of plugging in it while at work and its never been a problem starting.
    I've never had it under coated and there is no visible rust yet. Just didn't see the value in it on a 10k car.
    Lots of room in the back seat. Probably wouldn't be comfortable for someone 6ft tall on a long drive, but still a fair amount of head room bringing us back to it being a bit taller of a car and feeling that wind on the highway.
    Overall though its been a terrific car and would recommend.
    Last edited by Richard; 12-17-2020 at 12:24 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-17-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fabchef View Post
    does it take regular or premium fuel? (i know the fiat takes premium)?
    Regular fuel for Micra.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the last couple of model years, the Fiat 500 has had a turbo engine as standard. Thus premium fuel.

in terms of mods....are there any out there for this car? any cold air intakes?
    Not a ton of mods for the car. But yes, there are intakes available. For other mods , have a look at what they did to the Micra Cup cars:
    Thread: Exact micra cup performance parts available (from MIA - NISMO)

And of course, lots of owners have changed to different wheels/tires.

in terms of body pannels, do they tend to rust quickly (we got salty roads here in winter)?
    No reports of serious rust yet, but I would DEFINITELY get anti-rust treatment done, at least every other year starting around 4 years old is my advice.

can it hold a family of 4 (2 young children below 13) comfortably? (i do know fiat is tight in the back).
    Yes, much more room than the Fiat inside.

I take it you haven't tried a Micra yet?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fabchef View Post
    I think the SR would be the trim i would look for.
    Note: Mechanically, all trims are identical in terms of mechanicals: drivetrain, suspension, brakes, etc. The SR had different wheels/tires, and a factory "body kit" (side skirts, fog lights, rear spoiler which is also on the SV).

The SV/SR have better (more comfortable) seats than the S: 6-way adjustment vs. 4-way adjustment.

Does it have a timing belt or chain?
    Chain.
    Thread: Micra 1.6L: timing belt or chain? Interference engine? HR16DE

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...