Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first post! thinking of possible getting a micra..some info/advice pls...

Thanks
    Welcome!

Owning both a 2019 Micra S & 2012 500 sport (both with a manual gearbox)... I have to say each are absolutely fun cars for their own reasons!

You can run regular gas with no issues in a non-turbo 500. It is premium 'recommended' but not necessary. If you get the turbo, premium fuel is absolutely required. In terms of absolute 'smiles per gallon', both the 500 turbo & non-turbo win hands down.

Pros for the Micra: Simple, fun, cheap, more reliable & utilitarian & if you can find aftermarket parts... it's a rare care to modify. It's also the most 'stable' car out of the two. Cons for the Micra: Extremely susceptible to crosswinds, gearing is way off (too long in 1st & too short in 5th).

Pros for the Fiat: Also cheap, insanely fun to drive (Don't get an automatic), 4 wheel discs, charm and surprisingly spacious inside, more fun to drive than Micra, more airbags, chassis feels more solid than Micra, lively engine & better gearing. Cons to the Fiat: Not an ideal primary car... too many small & cheap things that go wrong, has a timing belt, holds less people than Micra but back seats in a Fiat are perfectly fine for two small-ish people, no rear-swaybar in a non-Abarth model.

Would I sell my Micra? Absolutely not! It is the better 'all-arounder' & does it perfectly. In terms of 'pure' driver's enjoyment factor, 500 Turbo or Abarth win hands down.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra S manual: 7.8 L/100 km ... 36.3 mpg (Imp) ... 12.8 km/L ... 30.2 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Vaszya For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-17-2020)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Metrompg...
    The fiat 500 on all trim leveks take premium fuel.

Veszya
    Thanks for your review, seems like you have both cars I'm considering.
    As mentioned this would be a summer/fun car for local driving an possibly short road trips.
    Our kids are small and i think would fit okay in the back of the fiat, maybe tight legroom?
    I have to say, in terms of looks, the fiat has a coolness factor to it.
    The micra, i think with some "dolling up" might look sportier?
    I know the fiat turbo models, and as fun as they might be, I'm worried about abuse to it. I heard they have rather weak suspension components, true?
    I do feel safer with 4 door car, and easier to get in and out.
    I'm kinda bummed about the fact of the fiat having a timing belt...gotta factor that in milage when buying used and future costs.
    What i like is that micra seems more reliable, has timing chain, and a bit more hp off the bat.
    Anything else I'm missing?
    Is micra hard to work on?
    Thanks
    Fab

Thanks
    A few 2015 model year owners complained of noisy engines, with some getting warranty replacements due to bearing issues.

To test: in neutral, rev the engine up from idle very slowly through 2000 RPM and listen for any unusual sounds (knocking). There's a thread around here somewhere about it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Vaszya (12-23-2020)

Thanks
    Metrompg.... is this on the micra or fiat?
    Maybe wrong oil viscosity? Or not doing oil changes on time/or low oil. This is important with cars with vvt systems.
    For me, i was trying different oils in my 2009 lexus rx350. I then switched to a dyno mobile 1 that has grade for my car. Sinc then, it's been running much smoother, no oil loss between changes.
    Fab

Thanks
    Micra. Even following oil change schedules and recommended viscosity.

Some felt it was a manufacturing defect in the early 2015 cars. Rare problem, but I would perform that RPM test if I were buying one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    See below in red...

Quote Originally Posted by fabchef View Post
    Metrompg...
    The fiat 500 on all trim leveks take premium fuel.

Veszya
    Thanks for your review, seems like you have both cars I'm considering.
    As mentioned this would be a summer/fun car for local driving an possibly short road trips.
    Our kids are small and i think would fit okay in the back of the fiat, maybe tight legroom?

Much tighter legroom than the Micra. Headroom in Fiat is good but has annoying headrests.

I have to say, in terms of looks, the fiat has a coolness factor to it.

Definitely!

The micra, i think with some "dolling up" might look sportier?

Sure, but there's tons of possibilities!

I know the fiat turbo models, and as fun as they might be, I'm worried about abuse to it. I heard they have rather weak suspension components, true? Disagree...

I've only ever changed rear shocks & one control arm on mine. Rear shocks cost me 80$ using new ones from a Corvette (Popular mod) and the table was 40$ from Rockauto

I do feel safer with 4 door car, and easier to get in and out.

The Fiat uses better steel & has more airbags... probably the safest out of the two

I'm kinda bummed about the fact of the fiat having a timing belt...gotta factor that in milage when buying used and future costs.

Yes, it has a timing belt, but it's rated for extremely high mileage 240,000KMS!

What i like is that micra seems more reliable, has timing chain, and a bit more hp off the bat.

Fiat has the Sport mode which makes the throttle more aggressive... Fiat's engine is smaller, more character and feels just as powerful

Anything else I'm missing?

My fuel mileage in the Fiat is 6.8l/100km all day long. Micra is about 7.2l/100km so very comparable. I beat on both and both run on regular. Accessible aftermarket (ie: not from Japan) is more available for Fiat

Is micra hard to work on?

Micra is MUCH easier to work on & my choice for a car to tinker on! With the Fiat, you're always battling a lack of space. Micra has space to work in spades!

Thanks
    Fab
    Last edited by Vaszya; 12-22-2020 at 09:05 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra S manual: 7.8 L/100 km ... 36.3 mpg (Imp) ... 12.8 km/L ... 30.2 mpg (US) ...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Vaszya For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-29-2020)

Thanks
    Veszya...
    Just saw your reply. Thanks again.
    I was watching a video on changing the control arms on the fiat, big job!
    I mentioned the fiat to a car friend of mine. He said mechanically they are soso. He mentioned about the "multiair" system, seems complicated.
    I like simple mechanical designs and ease to work on.
    Fab

Thanks
    Fab - I know you may not decide soon, but please come back and let us know what you buy.

Thanks
    Metro.... will do.

Thanks
    I won my 2015 Micra! Was never interested in little cars but decided to keep it as I had a big truck and kids to drive around. I really liked it. Very peppie in town AND highway! I thought I would not take it on highway but it is such a comfortable car and guts when needed. Easy getting in and out not low to the ground and lost of leg room. Back seat is not the most comfortable but would be great for kids. Love the hatchback! It never minded the winter, never had a problem starting in cold winter. I do not love it in the winter for driving, fine intown but I dont go far with it on highway in winter. I am having a issue atm with lights coming on on its own without keys and dial turned off and a noice so I am looking into this atm...electrical issue I guess. It has 93000 km