Thread: TIRES (Advice for all-season tire that sees snow only occasionally?)

Thanks

TIRES (Advice for all-season tire that sees snow only occasionally?)

I have had my 2015 Micra SR since new and I have decided I will stop looking at other vehicles and just keep it --- for the foreseeable future. I have 50,000 kms on the tires, and my mechanic assures me they are still fine. HOWEVER, I may be spending some time next year in a less mild climate - where there is actually snow! And I don't feel my tires are good enough for that climate. I would never do a lot of driving in the snow (I'm getting to be an older woman and not comfortable with that) so I would just like the best all weather tires (the ones that show the mountain and the snowflake) available. Any suggestions or, as importantly, stay-away-froms? Thanks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Toyo's walnut-infused tires are cracking good on ice
    Small fragments of the nut's shell in the tire's compound aid traction

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/to...ng-good-on-ice

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I would never do a lot of driving in the snow...
    If you're moving somewhere that gets snow, there will always be lots of great deals on used winter tires on rims. Don't mess around. Highly recommend just getting a set of dedicated snow tires.

I watch the local ads, and there are always sets available for around $200-300.

The bonus is you can extend the life & usability of your non-winter tires, since you're only using them 6 - 8 months a year.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    If you're moving somewhere that gets snow, there will always be lots of great deals on used winter tires on rims. Don't mess around. Highly recommend just getting a set of dedicated snow tires.

I watch the local ads, and there are always sets available for around $200-300.

The bonus is you can extend the life & usability of your non-winter tires, since you're only using them 6 - 8 months a year.
    Please bear in mind that tires age.

How Long Should a New Set of Tires Last?

There is a general consensus that most tires should be inspected, if not replaced, at about six years and should be absolutely be swapped out after 10 years, regardless of how much tread they have left.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I see we have an agent of Big Tire here.

kidding.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I don't live in an area that gets enough snow/ice to warrant buying designated winter tires so don't know how they would do but, GoodYear Ultra Grip tires have very good reviews on Tire Rack. I also checked the price of 185/65/15's the size that my Versa uses on eBay and a set of 4 can be bought there for $204.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Versa SV automatic: 4.7 L/100 km ... 60.3 mpg (Imp) ... 21.4 km/L ... 50.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2016 Versa View Post
    I don't live in an area that gets enough snow/ice to warrant buying designated winter tires so don't know how they would do but, GoodYear Ultra Grip tires have very good reviews on Tire Rack. I also checked the price of 185/65/15's the size that my Versa uses on eBay and a set of 4 can be bought there for $204.

Whatever price you are paying in the US, we are paying probably about double in Canada. And obviously right now I can't even drive to the US to buy my tires.

I don't need winter tires -- I won't drive in heavy snow and I want the all weathers just to be considered legal on the BC highways that have date restrictions --- ie tires with the little mountain required Oct 1 in some areas of BC. Anyway. I think I posted the wrong tire size above so I am suspecting I won't encounter the problem I thought I had.

I definitely will get my tires changed in the next few months. Driving on very wet surfaces lately I feel like I am not getting good enough grip.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The image on the tire is a snowflake on a mountain. They are required if you go up island and to Port Alberni or Tofino. Not sure if they are required on the Malahat.

Thanks
    I live in newfoundland and purchased winter tires on rims at Canadian tire, easy to swap on steel rims. Two winters now and so far so good and they are studable for icy roads. Studs are extremely noisy in a micra with very little insulation buffering the sound but if the roads are icy I recomend them.
    These are the ones I purchased (I got them on sale for $89 each)
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires...p.2086103.html
    Rims:
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/wheel...p.0098900.html
    I ended up getting both on sale and paid around $700 all in for 4 tires studded, mounted and balanced with on rims.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupert Rabbit View Post
    The image on the tire is a snowflake on a mountain. They are required if you go up island and to Port Alberni or Tofino. Not sure if they are required on the Malahat.
    Definitely required on the Malahat, but you can get around that by taking the Brentwood Bay to Mill Bay Ferry. Not required as far north as Nanaimo which is as far as I would go in a normal winter