Thread: Why the hate?

Thanks

Why the hate?

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this or not, but there seems to be a particular hate towards the Micra by certain people. This isn't your run-of-the-mill hate; this hatred is filled with passion.

Normal people will watch or read car reviews, and the comments are generally geared towards sincere questions about the vehicle or about the review methods. There's always the trolls usually heckling the reviewer or writing that such-and-such a brand of car sucks; however, with the Micra, it doesn't appear to be enough for them to say that small cars suck, Nissan sucks, or the Micra sucks. It's that we all must be crazy for buying this car, why wouldn't we buy a used car (which I already discussed here and here), and how they wouldn't feel safe in anything less than, say, a Ford Focus.

That last part reveals a lot about these people. I believe the hate is based on fear. I think these people work in the North American auto industry. They fear that if everyone discovered just how great a car like the Micra is, everyone would buy them and they would be out of a job. They're on a campaign of FUD - Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. They're not taking the time to respond to these reviews out of sincere concern for our safety; they fear growing numbers of people liberating themselves from the expense of their product.

When you really think about it, the Micra, and cars like it, are sensible cars for a lot of people. In the end, it keeps more money in our pockets, at the expense of bloated, inefficient dinosaurs that are desperate to return profits to its shareholders. Thus, it's no wonder why we see their thugs show up in review commentaries.

Those were my thoughts on the issue; it'd be interesting to see what your take is.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I don't suppose you can link to an online example?

I haven't seen anything overly negative about the Micra (aside from confusion about the 2015 model year NRCAN fuel economy ratings... some people are put off by its ratings compared to current 2014 models because they're ignorant of the changes to the tests).

I've been follwing the Mitsu Mirage closely since its introduction, and it's also subject to scorn from various people. A lot of "clown car" type of comments. Or comments along the lines of "why wouldn't someone just buy a nicer used car with more room/features/power" (which you've already addressed). Or comments about a global entry level car that "should stay in 3rd world countries". Oh, and of course lots of jokes about its efficient little engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I've been follwing the Mitsu Mirage closely since its introduction, and it's also subject to scorn from various people. A lot of "clown car" type of comments. Or comments along the lines of "why wouldn't someone just buy a nicer used car with more room/features/power" (which you've already addressed). Or comments about a global entry level car that "should stay in 3rd world countries". Oh, and of course lots of jokes about its efficient little engine.
    That's exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. It's not just the Micra specifically, it's a general hate towards all cars like it. If I don't like a car for whatever reason or personal bias, I simply move on. I consider such hate (and the 3rd world country type of comment is filled with hate) may be based on the fact that the person behind it may be financially dependent to domestically built bigger cars, and fear a paradigm shift may mean they'll be seeking lower paid employment elsewhere.

I'll admit, I've only seen it at a couple of places so far, mostly on a couple of Youtube videos. Perhaps these people are getting tired of being called out for their hate.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Here's a classic thread; though the Micra isn't mentioned (it didn't exist then), it demonstrates the sentiment...I give this thread 8/10 for entertainment value:
    http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...ed-cars-98375/

Thanks
    The thread you linked is pretty common online, but I have to wonder how many of them are just flame bait. I didn't read past the first page but to that point at least, they were all handing his arse back to him.
    I can't believe anyone is seriously moronic enough to ''hate'' a car based on where it's manufactured? I mean, HELLO...It's 2014, we got people all over the planet deserve to have jobs? Now if they're talking exo-planetary... I get it...freakin' Plutonions can't build ****e as far as I'm concerned, and Uranus...? seriously not going there.

Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...