Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installed a New Stereo and Speakers

Thanks

Installed a New Stereo and Speakers

I wanted Apple CarPlay and the ability to stream music so I ended up purchasing a Sony XAV-AX1000 media receiver, dash kit, wiring harness and antenna adapter from Crutchfield Canada. I used the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 to maintain steering wheel controls. Crutchfield gave me a steep discount on the dash kit, wiring harness and antenna adapter (I think they charged me $5.00 for everything).

The install was painless - the radio bezel came off without any pry tools (I started at the top corners and used my fingers to pull) and removed the 4 screws holding the factory radio. I spliced into 3 wires on the factory harness for the ASWC-1 and I was good to go. I ran the microphone to the driver's side A pillar. I used a fish tape to run the wire behind the A pillar because I didn't want to pinch the wire between the left side of the dash and fuse panel cover. I also used my own grounding source for the Sony stereo, ASWC-1 and parking brake. Its important to connect the blue wire from the antenna adapter to the aftermarket stereo remote wire (also blue) so radio reception is strong. I did not install a backup camera because I really didn't think it was necessary on such a small vehicle, though I presume it too would have been straightforward.

I did have a problem with the radio after reaching half volume as the speakers would start the clip. Initially, I thought I had a defective radio, but as it turned out, the issue was the impedance of the factory Nissan speakers The Sony stereo rated for 4ohm (or 8ohm), however, Nissan commonly uses a 2ohn setup which meant the amplifier in the Sony stereo was working harder than it should be and cutting out.

I just purchased 4 Kenwood KFC01666S 2 way 4 ohm speakers at Crutchfield. They sent the speaker adapters and harnesses for free! I receive them today and will install once they arrive. I have already removed the door panels, which took about 15 minutes to remove all 4 (very easy and straightforward).

I have installed car audio in countless vehicles and the Micra was one of the easiest installs!

Crutchfield is awesome to deal with and their prices and support is hands down second to none. As many have members of the forums have mentioned, the Micra is not sold in the USA, however, from a car audio standpoint, the Micra is identical to the Versa Note.

Name:  IMG_0466.jpg
Views: 3795
Size:  92.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0520.jpg
Views: 3212
Size:  92.2 KB

Last edited by JOEMAMA; 11-13-2020 at 05:42 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JOEMAMA For This Useful Post:

jephpej (11-14-2020),LilGeckos (11-14-2020),MrMicra2015 (11-13-2020)

Thanks
    the airbags didnt disable..your my hero...ground? what did you use.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    i have the snap-in rearview camera install (other regions i guess) but not the balls to install the head unit so a buncha useless wiring...not that hard to install the rearview camera like you surmise..
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    I grounded using a bracket that branched off of the front impact beam. The stock radio uses the steal mounting brackets that also ties into this beam.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JOEMAMA For This Useful Post:

MrMicra2015 (11-14-2020)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hey if you dont mind, can you post the part numbers for the dash kit and wiring harness you used?
    I'm planning on installing a single din stereo to get a bit more dash space and reading your entry gave me some confidence in trying to diy it next summer
    Last edited by jephpej; 11-15-2020 at 12:55 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jephpej View Post
    Hey if you dont mind, can you post the part numbers for the dash kit and wiring harness you used?
    I'm planning on installing a single din stereo to get a bit more dash space and reading your entry gave me some confidence in trying to diy it next summer
    Dash kit - Metra-95-7621 for double DIN radios and Metra-99-7621 for single DIN radios

Wire Harness - Metra-70-7552

Antenna Adapter - Metra-40NI12

If you go on Crutchfield and select the Versa Note as your vehicle it will give you everything that fits.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JOEMAMA For This Useful Post:

jephpej (11-17-2020)

Thanks
    Bookmarked. Thank you so much for the info!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMAMA View Post
    I wanted Apple CarPlay and the ability to stream music so I ended up purchasing a Sony XAV-AX1000 media receiver, dash kit, wiring harness and antenna adapter from Crutchfield Canada. I used the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 to maintain steering wheel controls. Crutchfield gave me a steep discount on the dash kit, wiring harness and antenna adapter (I think they charged me $5.00 for everything).
    So how much did you pay for the whole thing?

Thanks
    Awesome job. Very nice.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMAMA View Post
    Metra Axxess ASWC-1
    do you have a link to this?