Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transmission cooling line leak

Thanks
    I'm going to take it to a transmission shop, that's for the advice.....fingers crossed

Thanks
    While in the automatic transmission thread does anyone want a video of how to change transmission fluid? Dealers are charging 390-420$ plus tax for this job. Without filter change i.e. partial double fluid changes.

Im getting close to 51k will do it most likely in december-january.

Thanks
    Changing the transmission fluid is tricky because unless you do a full fluid exchange or flush (which is not an easy DIY task) you won’t get all of the fluid even after multiple drain and fills.

I’m a big believer in doing a flush/fluid exchange at the dealership where they use OEM fluid. It’s one of the isolated times were I recommend service work at the dealership. IMO saving a small amount of money isn’t worth the cost of a replacement transmission.
    Last edited by JOEMAMA; 11-09-2020 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks
    I am sure you havent been in dealership while they are changing fluid in jf414e . I wrote here that i have buddies working in nissan and chrysler dealerships as mechanics, foreman. Thats exactly what they are doing as per service manual. Partial fluid change with drain and refill. No filter change no machine hooked up. Thats why labour time is too high. Its 2 hrs.

And oem fluid you can buy in any nissan dealership. Its matic-s as per now.

For full fluid exchange or flush is not required not by nissan and not by kia/hyundai. Unless overhaul is required then its totally different story.

Im not taking this information from the air around me myself im engine mechanic working 8hrs a day for 15years on engines and transmissions once a month at least.
    Last edited by Plutus; 11-09-2020 at 09:48 AM.

Thanks
    Where I’m from most reputable dealers use a flush/exchanger machine for a whole fluid exchange (flushes are becoming less and less common). Depending on the vehicle, some manufacturers recommend not changing the filter.

I have a 2015 Mazda CX-5 that has been serviced this way and it currently has 330,000km and it still drives like new. Any vehicle I’ve owned I’ve serviced this way. Mazda actually does not recommend changing the transmission fluid (they call it a lifetime fluid) though I don’t believe that to be possible.

There is nothing wrong with drain and fills - it’s just not efficient from a fluid or time perspective. If a dealer has the proper equipment, a full fluid exchange is always better, regardless of what the manufacturer suggests. The main reason manufacturers recommend drain and fills is because if a machine is connected and improperly used, it can cause long term damage to the transmission.

If you know mechanics that work at various dealerships I’m sure one of them could help you with a transmission drain and fill. It’s not a complicated process and varies very little from car to car. I’m not a mechanic by any means but I do have a shop with a lift and just replaced a transmission in a friends F-150 complete with a new filter and pan gasket.

Thanks
    If you got a video, post it up please as I will be doing this soon. 62k in.

I'm just wondering if one can use that transmission cooling line to do a flush?
    Correct me if I'm wrong here... I'm pretty sure that top cooling line is pumping out from the torque converter.
    And as far as I know, that transmission dip stick tube is a full indicator when the fluid reaches the top. I'm also assuming the level will go down when idling in park.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 10.0 L/100 km ... 28.4 mpg (Imp) ... 10.0 km/L ... 23.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Will do it in december - january most likely december. Will record everything from start to finish. And also wont take it to the shop with hydro lifter will do in my own garage with handy tools no special ones for others to get an idea if the job is ok for them to start and do or take it to the dealer.
    Last edited by Plutus; 11-13-2020 at 02:09 PM.

Thanks
    bummer...wonder how old speg made out ?
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgoedhard View Post
    If you got a video, post it up please as I will be doing this soon. 62k in.

I'm just wondering if one can use that transmission cooling line to do a flush?
    Correct me if I'm wrong here... I'm pretty sure that top cooling line is pumping out from the torque converter.
    And as far as I know, that transmission dip stick tube is a full indicator when the fluid reaches the top. I'm also assuming the level will go down when idling in park.
    Here is the video i promised hope this will help. 50k partial 100k full change im doing like that last 20 years.
    https://youtu.be/hY97rZYTDgc

Thanks
    So I took it into a transmission shop (avoided the dealer) they replace the steel line with a rubber line and refilled the tranny all for under $200!, They said everything looked good and no burned fluid or metal shavings.
    Now I have to deal with a broken mid pipe on the exhaust!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Speg For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-28-2021)