Thread: Micra OEM battery replacement with options

Micra OEM battery replacement with options

Hey gang,

By now a lot of 2015/2016 batteries are starting to show their age. There has been some back and forth and the aftermarket providers don’t have great info due to the micra not being available in USA.

The stock OEM battery is 24410-zw40c ( a discontinued versa battery )
    Because of that link to versa a lot of lists show group51R as a replacement. This is only for the versa cvt and it’s too skinny to be held by the clamps.

Our battery is held by clamps at the base on the battery tray. Not the over the top tie down.

This makes the width ( 175mm +/- 2mm ) the critical factor.

The closest direct replacement is the group99R (T4) with same specs
    ( 550amp 470cca ) 8.25in ( 210mm) by 6.875 by 6.875 In (175mm )

Napa Canada has listed 121R (550cca) as a oem replacement.
    The 121R is slightly larger but cheaper, more common and has higher CCA which is better for our cold climate.
    It’s a smart move to save money and have more power available for cold winter starts.
    Be careful on height as it can be difficult to get the positive terminal over the post if the battery is too tall.

Next size up is 96R (590cca)/ 90 ( 600cca ) it is longer then stock (243mm) like the group47 (600cca)
    this does technically fit as a group 47 has been fitted
    However, if using an aftermarket intake you may have a tight fit.

Next is the group 85 (650cca) 230x175x206 $160, 3 year roadside service
    Its a little longer then stock, but not a long as others, taller then stock, but not as tall as other. Just as wide as stock. Extra 200 cca.

Like most things there isn’t one “right” answer. It’s what you need it for that matters.

Attached is a spreadsheet with general specs of the group sizes plus the actual sizes as listed on CT and Napa website with prices

Attached Images Attached Images    

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    For those of you that have the K13 (2015-2019) 1.6L purchased in Canada, with the discontinued OEM 24410-zw40c battery there is a lot of discussion about which battery to replace it with based on dimensions. For most the original battery was very good and will last up to 8 years. The auto parts store wants to recommend the 99R.

CHOOSE THE 121R!!! It's more CCA( basically the power of the battery similar price), it's a straight swap and not tight. Even the plastic sleeve will fit right over top. I'm a dummy with no instructions and it took me 40 mins. You need a 10mm (to move the air intake the bolt in plain sight that is a bolt with the Philips cross hatch and the battery posts you will need a 10mm wrench to remove the positive terminal) and a 13mm with extension (to remove the battery clamp at the front bottom of battery). Good luck!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 8.1 L/100 km ... 34.9 mpg (Imp) ... 12.3 km/L ... 29.0 mpg (US) ...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Mercenary For This Useful Post:

MrMicra2015 (10-11-2023),Vaszya (09-09-2023)

Thanks
    I'll give it a try...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mercenary View Post
    For those of you that have the K13 (2015-2019) 1.6L purchased in Canada, with the discontinued OEM 24410-zw40c battery there is a lot of discussion about which battery to replace it with based on dimensions. For most the original battery was very good and will last up to 8 years. The auto parts store wants to recommend the 99R.

CHOOSE THE 121R!!! It's more CCA( basically the power of the battery similar price), it's a straight swap and not tight. Even the plastic sleeve will fit right over top. I'm a dummy with no instructions and it took me 40 mins. You need a 10mm (to move the air intake the bolt in plain sight that is a bolt with the Philips cross hatch and the battery posts you will need a 10mm wrench to remove the positive terminal) and a 13mm with extension (to remove the battery clamp at the front bottom of battery). Good luck!
    Thanks for the info. Where did you purchase the 121R battery from? I am looking at Costco and CT but there is a slight difference in the dimensions

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Calvin For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (09-13-2023)

Thanks
    I thought I already posted a reply to you but it's not showing up. I also considered the Costco one but with lineups and all, and Canadian Tires in every town I chose CT. Their batts are alright and have a warranty. I chose the Motomaster one cuz CT is selling other brands now. It was just just over $200.

If the Costco one is significantly cheaper, if it's dimensions are just a couple mm bigger than CT you will still have plenty of room. It's those other ones that may cause you problems cuz you're trying to maximize every last CCA. Just don't get the 99R, to me it's a glorified motorcycle batt.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 8.1 L/100 km ... 34.9 mpg (Imp) ... 12.3 km/L ... 29.0 mpg (US) ...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Mercenary For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (09-13-2023),MrMicra2015 (10-11-2023)

Thanks
    i hate to be a complainer and make extra work but the "speadsheet" pic is so small and when i zoom in i cant read it and where are the prices from....oopps CT and napa...my bad..THAT said..lol...i recently replaced the 2015 honda with a 51R from costco and in the interest of price and interchangeability may just "extend" the holddowns....aka...make new ones. thoughts?

2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!