Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rust protection / undercoating

Thanks
    Among Jalopnik's Ten Best Winter Car Hacks, Jalopnik Commentators were singing the praises of a product called Fluid Film as an undercarriage coating. You can get it at Canadian Tire, Princess Auto, Ackland-Granger (need to have a business to buy from them), Home Hardware, and at TSC stores in Manitoba and Ontario. Apparently, its made from lanolin oil, derived from sheep's wool, making it non-toxic and bio-degradeable, so you can use as much as you want without hurting yourself or the environment. Might be useful for some of you who want to spray your undercarriage. The commentators state its works best when applied above zero, so it'll probably have to wait until spring unless you have heated parking and are able to wash the undercarriage.

Last edited by Ustauk; 02-23-2015 at 11:58 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ustauk For This Useful Post:

lbarouf (02-27-2015),MetroMPG (02-23-2015)

Thanks
    I see we have another Jalopnik reader. (I'm addicted. )

I wonder if this is what the Krown stuff is made of. I remember them specifically advertising it as being non-toxic and enviro friendly. Which suggests either veggie oil or lanolin.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    From the advanced msds... It advertises the 55 gallon drum as 'blue' oil. Has the same density on water as glycerin. Whatever blue oil.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Among Jalopnik's Ten Best Winter Car Hacks, Jalopnik Commentators were singing the praises of a product called Fluid Film as an undercarriage coating. You can get it at Canadian Tire, Princess Auto, Ackland-Granger (need to have a business to buy from them), Home Hardware, and at TSC stores in Manitoba and Ontario. Apparently, its made from lanolin oil, derived from sheep's wool, making it non-toxic and bio-degradeable, so you can use as much as you want without hurting yourself or the environment. Might be useful for some of you who want to spray your undercarriage. The commentators state its works best when applied above zero, so it'll probably have to wait until spring unless you have heated parking and are able to wash the undercarriage.

Humm, thanks for this. I am planning on getting mine rust proofed at Krown. But an can of this can help for touch ups.
    Sheep's wool? Baaah, I'm sure it can't haaaaaarrrm. Sorry, I had to. ;-)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Just an FYI for future people looking at getting a Micra or any Nissan...
    The Electro rust proofing, Fabric and Paint plan for a huge $3000, instantly knocked down to $1500...I rejected, but the next day they offered it for $799. I'm not sure how low you can get them, if it does anything or not, but try not to pay much for it as i'm sure it is very high margin for them.
    I'll get it sprayed in the fall and every other year as i have on previous cars.
    Cheers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.6 L/100 km ... 43.0 mpg (Imp) ... 15.2 km/L ... 35.8 mpg (US) ...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham18ce For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-09-2015),MetroMPG (04-09-2015)

Thanks
    I'll bet $799 worth of anti-rust spray is money much better spent over the car's lifetime!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    yep, never do dealer rust proof

do it yourself, periodically across the car 's lifetime

there's no 'spray it and forget it forever' solution that will work for you.

Thanks
    Looking over the Micra S loaner from Nissan, I remembered Paul's comments about how the car was designed to avoid rust with the lack of a 90 degree "lip" around the inside of the rear wheel arch that would trap dirt, salt & moisture.

Looking at the car I noticed there's a lip further back inside the wheel well where the rear bumpr cover attaches, and there's also a hole in that area where a plastic fastener joins everything:

Name:  future-rust.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  43.8 KB

(This is looking backward over the rear wheel on the driver's side.)

I'd say this is a triple whammy future rust area: 1) behind the tire (dirt is thrown up here); 2) has the 90 degree lip to hold dirt/moisture; 3) the hole through it will further trap dirt & moisture.

Definitely worth making sure this area is kept clean and rust-treated. This could be a "flappy bumper" issue down the road if rust makes a mess of it.

Thanks
    crown rustproofing hell I see cars 10 fifteen years old with good old crown rustproof and the look new

Thanks
    Some years ago as I arrived at an appointment - a 1990 Toyota truck sat in front of the place. It has just one spot of rust on it. The box was 100% there. paint looked original white. In the office a fellow there I chatted with was in fact the owner form new. I was surprised to hear him say the little bit of rust was form a stone chip. I mean these trucks melted with rust as did my 1982 Toyota Corolla. His solution and the proof stood outside? Rust Check and the touch ups once a year. I was impressed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GreatWhite For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-11-2016)