Thread: Exhaust options in 2020?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Exhaust options in 2020?

I'm here on behalf of my wife's 2016 SV. I've read through every thread I can about exhausts on this forum and I'm still not sure what the best answer is.

Over the past week the muffler popped right off the exhaust flange where it connects to the midpipe. My mechanic took a look and says I probably need a new muffler, and there's no aftermarket mufflers so it'll have to come from the dealer. He can clamp in some kind of pipe over top temporarily, but it won't last very long. Additionally, as far as I could see under the car it looks like the flange has rusted together, so I don't know if the flange from the midpipe could be used again, either:
    Name:  IMG_20200911_165008.jpg
Views: 1599
Size:  83.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200911_164922.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  92.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200911_164857.jpg
Views: 1524
Size:  76.1 KB

Other than band-aid fixing it, it looks like my options are OEM ($380 + tax for the muffler, gasket and bolts... didn't even ask about the midpipe), one of the various japanese websites that will get some kind of stainless steel exhausts to me in Ontario for ~$1200, or custom work (and I wouldn't know where to start).

As a possible option, does anyone know if any of the versa or versa note exhaust parts would fit on the micra? There's a lot of aftermarket stuff for it and the pictures look like they'd fit. I could get the muffler, midpipe, gasket and bolts shipped to me for about $390 + tax which is a heck of a lot better than OEM.

Name:  58559_T__ra_p.jpg
Views: 1548
Size:  12.6 KB
    Name:  50012_T__ra_p.jpg
Views: 1661
Size:  14.2 KB

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rustypipes For This Useful Post:

MrMicra2015 (09-15-2020),Vaszya (09-17-2020)

Thanks
    a few people have noticed that joint can be quite weak...MY advice would be to literally "band aid it" BUT....your mechanic (maybe) or anyone with a welder (any welder...even a cheap one) should be able to weld a pipe and eliminate the weak bolted connection..this could be YOUR opportunity to buy that flux core welder at princess auto you always dreamed of.....so im a BAD welded with alot of experience (lol) and i welded up the hole in the 99 civic pipe....just make sure ground clamp close to weld....IDEALLY drop the pipe from the block...weld (ground clamp) and re-attach...the plan is not to allow the current from the ground clamp to go through a very fine wire ie the ECU

on further reflection,i would take your mechanics advice, clamp a big band aid over the super weak area,an it and the rest of the system should last another 7 years

good pics!!
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMicra2015 For This Useful Post:

Vaszya (09-17-2020)

Thanks
    I had the exact same issue 2 years ago on my 2015. I cut out the flanged section with a cut-off wheel on my grinder and got a short exhaust pipe section at Canadian Tire with the same ID as the original pipes OD. Clamp it on either side with muffler clamps. That was 2 years ago and I expect it to last at least as long as the original flange did which is definitely a weak spot in the exhaust. Total cost was about $10 and took about 1/2 hr to do in the driveway.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

alexparky (10-28-2020),Vaszya (09-17-2020)

Thanks
    I did the same as Richard, but I used a reducer that fit over one side, and into the other pipe. Wasn't especially difficult. Just cut off the entire flanged area. If the one side is rusted apart, the other side won't be too far behind.

Thanks
    Just jumping in to say that this precise thing happened to me this morning, my 2015 S - 5 years old this month, and literally on its first drive after changing the brakes for the first time. When it rains it pours, I guess! Will duct-tape it for now and head to Canadian tire first thing Saturday morning. Thanks Richard and 4Aaron

Name:  Capture2.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  13.5 KB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to alexparky For This Useful Post:

Richard (10-28-2020)