Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to reduce Window Glare from film building up on glass?

Thanks

How to reduce Window Glare from film building up on glass?

This is probably more of a general question than a Micra specific question but.... I've had my Micra for 6 years now. I am having a terrible time with a film buildup inside the car affecting the front windshield. The other day, I turning into the setting sun and immediately had to pull over and wipe my windows because I could not see!!! The next day, I cleaned my windows inside and out, and that evening, it happened again. Any advice on what I can do, what I can use, to keep the windows clear for more than one day? Thanks in advance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Check cabin filter may be there is some buildup there of something thats causing that film or if blower is on recirculation of inside air then wash floor mats. And also check under the hood for leaks. May be coolant is leaking which at that temperature and conditions is pushing contaminated air into air heating/cooling system and then through the ducts to your windshield.
    Wipe off windshield with something to see what type or residue it is. Is it oily? Are you or someone else smoking inside with closed or partially closed windows? Varnish from cigarette smoke can also buildup on glass.

For cleaning i would recommend windshield cleaner from chemical brothers which is safe for tints too. I switched from vinegar/water solution to that brand and love it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Plutus For This Useful Post:

patty (09-03-2020)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I use a solution of water , a few drops of dish soap and about a tablespoon of ammonia in about a liter of water. Apply with a clean rag and clear with a squeegee. If there are any bits of the cleaning solution I spray it with plain water and squeegee it again. This works for me . At the end of the summer, with the car sitting in the sun all day, there is a bit of a haze build up but not nearly as bad as in previous cars.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rupert Rabbit For This Useful Post:

patty (09-03-2020)

Thanks
    i get that on my honda fit mor than the micra.....its pollution i think!!...windex works...rereading i see you only make it one day...THATS not normal?
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMicra2015 For This Useful Post:

patty (09-03-2020)

Thanks
    Windex is proven to be unsafe for tints! Better to stay away from windex. Any tinter (donno how to call them) will advice never to use windex.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Plutus For This Useful Post:

patty (09-03-2020)

Thanks
    I am using the "natural" equivalent of Windex. A friend who had my car for 2 weeks about a month ago used straight vinegar.

I am always on fresh air intake (never recycled) but checking the cabin filter sounds like a good idea..... I'll mention it next time I take my car in. I've been going to an independent mechanic, not the dealer, so maybe some things are overlooked.

Thanks....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Straight vinegar is acid :-) i wont recommend anyone using straight vinegar on windshield if its not dismantled from the car.
    Dashboard material and seals there are lot of places that rag with saturated vinegar can rub against and cause melting, detoriationand other harmful effects.

Best is to dilute it but better to use ones off the shelf must be states that its “safe for tints”. As i said as i switched to chemical brothers cleaner I definitely wont go back to vinegar. Paid 7$ for small spray bottle. 2nd year still something left in the bottle.

Thanks
    im guessing Patty does not actually have 90% tinted windows with a lowered micra on 20's....the window film builds up.... MAYBE its the vinegar solution building up?...."back in the day" when i armouralled the interior vinyl a film would quickly coat the windows...maybe your friend did that?...to be honest i just battled a mold problem in a 1997 prelude stored outside with vinegar and it seemed to work and didnt seem to damage anything (but i wouldn't recommend it unless u have mold and an old car)....i would windex everything...windows...dash...possibly something is evaporating and coating windows ?
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMicra2015 For This Useful Post:

patty (09-07-2020)

Thanks
    I must admit that I don't clean the dash board regularly, if at all..... so maybe it is something rising from there. Off to do that right now! :-)

Thanks
    Any update, Patty? Next day film/glare gone?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...