Thread: Picking up used 2015 Micra SV standard - concerned about engine noise

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Picking up used 2015 Micra SV standard - concerned about engine noise

Hey guys,

I've been looking for a new car to get me back home. I decided on the Micra, and after test-driving one, I decided to seek out one with A/C.

So I test drove this Micra dealership. A couple little issues but they're going to sort them out for the safety cert. Anyway, I noticed on the test drive that the engine made a noise at around 2k rpm. It honestly sounded like normal small engine noises to me so I didn't think twice of it. Then I came across the infamous knocking thread.

Is this something I REALLY need to worry about? It seems that 2-3 people were keeping that thread alive, but I've not actually heard of anyone in Canada experiencing engine failure on these cars. I know they replaced some engines but the whole thing seems bizarre. If the rods were really smacking around in the bottom of the engine due to a defective bearing, these cars should be throwing rods like there's no tomorrow. I'd love to hear peoples long-term experience after hearing the "knock" and whether their engine was any worse for wear. I know one user had it simply go away after some-time - something that absolutely would not happen with rod-knock.

Thanks ahead of time! I can't wait to get my car this Friday and officially join the club.

Last edited by thrifted_film; 07-23-2020 at 01:17 PM.

Thanks
    First of all....Very impressive that you sold a 30 year old car. Some of those old Camry's and Corolla's seem like they'd last forever. They certainly don't make them like they used too.
    I cant say that the "noise" is or isn't something cause...well.....I cant hear it for starters. But, my experience is that it's been a pretty solid car for the price point (knock on wood). For me, stepping down from a loaded Maxima there a definitely some "extra" noises that I've gotten used to over the years. Wasn't much of a concern for me buying new with warranty, but still, they where there. My suggestion. take it out for another drive. Does it come with any warranty? Keep in mind that there are likely other Micra's for sale if your not comfortable with this one, especially if your willing to drive to Waterloo from Hamilton. Good luck

Thanks
    . If the rods were really smacking around in the bottom of the engine due to a defective bearing, these cars should be throwing rods like there's no tomorrow.
    I agree with you on that. It's a very rare problem, or else we'd hear about it constantly from the U.S. because Nissan sold over 600,000 Versas with this same engine made in the same Mexican factory since 2014.

That said, I know of one owner whose Micra actually threw a rod.

On the other hand, Micras with over 200k kms on them turn up all the time in my used car searches.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    maybe drive another micra and see if it sounds "the same?"....mine makes all sorts of engine noises that worry me....but maybe all of them are normal.

2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!