Hey everyone, question about using different products to clean the exterior of the car. I have never bought anything for a car before (my last car of 11 years I didn't even wash once lol) but I am inspired to personalise my Micra because of this forum. I have a few things ordered, one is a rubber bumper scratch protector attached with knock off 3M tape, and one is a vinyl-ish door sill protector.

Both show that I should clean the area first before installing the tape or sticker, but I wasn't sure what was good to use on the paint. Painted metal for the door sills and painted plastic for our bumpers. I have rubbing alcohol and paint thinner (mineral spirits). Of the two I think I will avoid the paint thinner, although some places online say it is alright. I just don't know about it on the plastic bumper and with our paint.

I also have heard isopropyl alcohol is a good way to make sure the area is clean before installation, but would love to hear from any of you who have added bumper protectors, lips, or anything else that sticks to the car.