Thread: Cleaning before tape application

Thanks

Question Cleaning before tape application

Hey everyone, question about using different products to clean the exterior of the car. I have never bought anything for a car before (my last car of 11 years I didn't even wash once lol) but I am inspired to personalise my Micra because of this forum. I have a few things ordered, one is a rubber bumper scratch protector attached with knock off 3M tape, and one is a vinyl-ish door sill protector.

Both show that I should clean the area first before installing the tape or sticker, but I wasn't sure what was good to use on the paint. Painted metal for the door sills and painted plastic for our bumpers. I have rubbing alcohol and paint thinner (mineral spirits). Of the two I think I will avoid the paint thinner, although some places online say it is alright. I just don't know about it on the plastic bumper and with our paint.

I also have heard isopropyl alcohol is a good way to make sure the area is clean before installation, but would love to hear from any of you who have added bumper protectors, lips, or anything else that sticks to the car.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miklo View Post
    Hey everyone, question about using different products to clean the exterior of the car. I have never bought anything for a car before (my last car of 11 years I didn't even wash once lol) but I am inspired to personalise my Micra because of this forum. I have a few things ordered, one is a rubber bumper scratch protector attached with knock off 3M tape, and one is a vinyl-ish door sill protector.

Both show that I should clean the area first before installing the tape or sticker, but I wasn't sure what was good to use on the paint. Painted metal for the door sills and painted plastic for our bumpers. I have rubbing alcohol and paint thinner (mineral spirits). Of the two I think I will avoid the paint thinner, although some places online say it is alright. I just don't know about it on the plastic bumper and with our paint.

I also have heard isopropyl alcohol is a good way to make sure the area is clean before installation, but would love to hear from any of you who have added bumper protectors, lips, or anything else that sticks to the car.
    Hi! I've previously installed 3m stripes on several cars to good results (Including over a freshly waxed surface, I know... not ideal!). That said, isopropyl alcohol is perfect at stripping any wax.

Do you have any pics of the items you bought?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra S manual: 7.8 L/100 km ... 36.3 mpg (Imp) ... 12.8 km/L ... 30.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaszya View Post
    That said, isopropyl alcohol is perfect at stripping any wax.
    Wait, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I don't have any pictures yet but I will find the links for what I bought later on.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miklo View Post
    Wait, is that a good thing or a bad thing?
    Depends what you're hoping to achieve... Ideally you want the surface to be as clean as possible to help get a long lasting bond between anything you stick on the paint. Dish soap is also a great wax remover. Just re-wax after you apply the 3m protector.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Micra S manual: 7.8 L/100 km ... 36.3 mpg (Imp) ... 12.8 km/L ... 30.2 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I have never waxed a car before, does my car already have wax on it? I will likely never wax my car.

Thanks
    Probably not then, but still a good idea to clean before you put anything on (Due to surface contaminants, etc). Wax only lasts a few months at best on any car.

Thanks
    30-50% rubbing alcohol is fine for the paint since the solvent isn't in contact for very long, do avoid using the 99% stuff straight, just water it down if that's all you have. Same goes for the head / tail-lights, pure iso can cause them to crack.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    you should wax the car once a year...or 2....id wash this one....under the fenders and crevices under the car mostly..

it looks like its made from compressed steel beer cans it going to rust pretty fast if u dont take some care of it

2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!