Thread: Lurking no more

Thanks

Lurking no more

Hey everyone. I bought my Micra is mid Jan 2020, and lurked here since about a week before that looking at reviews and other interesting stuff. Since buying, I have saved a bunch of threads to read, and read a lot as well. I have a great big list now of stuff I want to do.

I had a 2009 Mini Cooper (regular, not classic or sport) and it was dying, and kind of fast. I needed a new car relatively fast after the mini started shaking violently. It's our 2nd car, and used mostly for going to work but needs to be able to fit at the end of our small driveway without getting a ticket every night. The mini was 3680mm in length and I figured I need a car no more than 4000mm long. Our options looked like the Toyota Yaris HB or Honda Fit first, then the Micra, Spark, and Mirage. 2020 Yaris are discontinued except Quebec, and no one had any 2019's left. 2020 Fits were not expected until March and no one had any 2019's either. We test drove a 2017 Yaris and really liked it, but didn't want to buy used.

I never even looked at the Spark or Mirage after a few online searches, and started loving what the Micra was, and it's reviews. We test drove it a few times and then started looking for what we wanted. Ended up getting a floor model in Metallic Blue with the convenience package and Chrome door handles, mirror covers, and trunk finisher. Not very happy with the dealer though, every interaction was not a good one and plan to never go back there. I needed to go back right away because the spoiler was not attached correctly. The dealer also did not include the rubber mats that were IN the car when we bought it, and we argued for a while but to no avail.

But now I just enjoy the car and how surprisingly big it is. Not problems with 2 snowboards inside and 2 occupants. And I look forward to doing a few little things to personalise the car. I am not and never was a car guy, so this will be the first time I've ever even thought about changing anything on a car. I need to finish reading all the wonderful posts on this forum and following up with threads and members with questions.

I've already benefited from reading this forum, as I read the cabin air filter thread and looked to find that my Micra was also missing the filter. My brochure did not mention the filter, but Nissan.ca had it listed at included on their site, so I got that put in for free.

Although I will do my best to read every single thread, is there anything I should watch out for with the 5 years you all have been owning this car? Any mods you think are a must and not hard for someone with no experience?

I look forward to being part of this site!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to miklo For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (01-16-2021)

Thanks
    you may want a seat heater for about 12 dollars off ebay (plugs into cigarette lighter)

i got 2 sets of mats with my 2015
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Is there any issue with power? When reading the manual it said not to use the 12V and the AC or defroster, but I can definitely see times when I would use both or even all 3! What would happen?

I've seen other people here add 2nd 12V's, or use a splitter to have 2 things plugged in, or adding extra lights. Do any of those things do anything either?

I assume adding a few extra lights wouldn't be a problem if they are 3 LEDs replacing 1 original bulb, probably less power anyways.

i got 2 sets of mats with my 2015
    I have been searched for mats since 1 week after getting my car. Ideally I want the WeatherTech ones, but not paying full price. I have not found any rubber or WT ones since I've started looking.
    Last edited by miklo; 06-11-2020 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks
    You should be alright. I run all LEDs (except turn signals, because those will rapid flash), but even with halogen headlights and taillights, never had an issue running A/C on full blast with the defroster/mirror heaters (in the winter, use A/C to clear the windows more efficiently) with a GPS, my phone running on quick charge technology, a seat warmer pad, 12V under dash lights, a dashcam, and a Bluetooth to AUX dongle all running simultaneously with no power issues via splitters (except the radio flickering in cold, which is an isolated issue since new and happens with no aux power connected and Climate controls off. And the radio still works fine once the cabin warms up and I restart the radio. No issues in warmer months). The worst thing I'd imagine you would encounter is you could blow the 12V fuse. But those are cheap and relatively easy to replace once you locate the appropriate fuse box (the Micra has two that I know of) and location of the fuse. And be sure to replace the fuse with one of the same amperage so you don't run the risk of damaging other systems