Thread: Happy owner of a little red micra

Thanks

Happy owner of a little red micra

Hello all,

I'm the new owner of this little red micra SR (2015), manual transmission. My first car - so excited! Glad to stumble across this forum, what a lovely community.

About me: I'm a med student in Ontario, originally from the UK. I know a bit about the body, I'm clueless when it comes to cars :P Oil-changes, service intervals, things that go bump when you turn on the lights... any guidance for a new owner is appreciated.

Mods I'd like to do: would love to find a way to fold the back seats flat, and fold the front seats flat (or maybe replace the front seats with seats that fold flat?) so I can put a mattress in. Would be super helpful for when I'm on regional rotations. Any advice? Does anyone know if this is possible?

Cheers!

Thanks

I stick to the Nissan oil filters rather than any other. I don't use ramps or jack up the car since the work can be done without doing so.

Service interval: Check your manual.
    Last edited by Ajijic; 05-19-2020 at 12:03 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ajijic For This Useful Post:

Little Red Micra (05-31-2020)

Thanks
    Welcome, Little Red Micra!

You're not far away - I'm just down the river in Brockville. Practically in the neighbourhood.

I'm sure you've noticed this forum is fairly quiet these days. There was a lots of excitement when Nissan re-introduced the Micra to the Canadian market 5 years ago. That has died off some. (Also, the Quebecois contingent is now congregating on a mainly French language site elsewhere, tabernac!)

One way to let the rear seatbacks fold flatter is to remove the lower seat cushion. Happily, it comes out without tools:

Thread: DIY: Turning your Micra into a micro cargo van... rear seat removal

Sadly, you're somewhat of out of luck as far as the front seat goes. The ideal thing would be to remove it (4 bolts), if it weren't for the fact it has an integrated airbag, and turning the ignition on with while that airbag is removed will set a fault in the computer. (May even disable the remaining airbags - I'm not 100% on that issue.)

One way around this is to set up some kind of light, removable platform as I've seen done with a similar sized car (with the same airbag-in-seat issue), the Mitsubishi Mirage. Check this owner's approach, leaving the front seat in place, but reclined all the way:

Name:  mirage-platform1.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  84.1 KB

Name:  mirage-platform2.jpg
Views: 1573
Size:  85.5 KB

The plastic is from cheap modular shelving. Or you could DIY something with light plywood.

Glad to have you here!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Little Red Micra (05-31-2020)

Thanks
    Thank you Ajijic! I'll stick to Nissan oil filters and check the owners manual. Good to know

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Welcome, Little Red Micra!

You're not far away - I'm just down the river in Brockville. Practically in the neighbourhood.

I'm sure you've noticed this forum is fairly quiet these days. There was a lots of excitement when Nissan re-introduced the Micra to the Canadian market 5 years ago. That has died off some. (Also, the Quebecois contingent is now congregating on a mainly French language site elsewhere, tabernac!)

One way to let the rear seatbacks fold flatter is to remove the lower seat cushion. Happily, it comes out without tools:

Thread: DIY: Turning your Micra into a micro cargo van... rear seat removal

Sadly, you're somewhat of out of luck as far as the front seat goes. The ideal thing would be to remove it (4 bolts), if it weren't for the fact it has an integrated airbag, and turning the ignition on with while that airbag is removed will set a fault in the computer. (May even disable the remaining airbags - I'm not 100% on that issue.)

One way around this is to set up some kind of light, removable platform as I've seen done with a similar sized car (with the same airbag-in-seat issue), the Mitsubishi Mirage. Check this owner's approach, leaving the front seat in place, but reclined all the way:

Name:  mirage-platform1.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  84.1 KB

Name:  mirage-platform2.jpg
Views: 1573
Size:  85.5 KB

The plastic is from cheap modular shelving. Or you could DIY something with light plywood.

Glad to have you here!
    Thank you for all this useful info, MetroMPG! Sorry for my slow reply, end of final exams, been busy. Those pictures for the Mirage conversion are very useful - I might try something similar. I also realized that if I take out the rear seat cushion as you suggest, and then just fold the two front seats all the way *forward*, then I have about 5'8" length from the hatchback door to the front seats. I'm a short guy, it's just enough room. Might be able to build a platform like that, because folding the front seats back would mean building a platform that's about the height of the bottom of the windows at the doors, which doesn't leave much room to the roof. Thank you for the info and the links! Will post pictures when I do this project this summer And thank you for the warm welcome!