Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Radiator & condenser coil protection screen

Thanks
    This is my adventure with installing this mesh... Sorry for bad english.
    Credit to all who contributed to this thread, special thanks for Vapor's Nismo badge post.

So at first, i wanted to use Vapor's method and removed the 8 nuts even dropped 2 that i can't find (zip ties to the rescue!!)
    Name:  nis.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  15.0 KB

After the 8 nuts are removed.. i spent 2 hours trying to pull that cover out.. and i gave up...
    But then there was enough space for my to put my arm in between the cover and the racks...
    However, this is what happened at the end of the work.. Ouch, it still hurts..
    Name:  IMG_2444.JPG
Views: 513
Size:  79.9 KB

So i didn't do like Wynter, the mesh was in 1 piece.. and i didn't take the grill out.. she push the mesh from the left side, but I actually push the mesh from the right side (driver side). and start immobilizing the mesh with 1 zip tie, and then zip them 1 by 1..

Name:  IMG_2434.JPG
Views: 518
Size:  92.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_2435.JPG
Views: 536
Size:  96.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_2433.JPG
Views: 460
Size:  74.0 KB

and voila!!

At first, i only wanted to do the upper grill, but as i was inspecting the low grill, i found this...
    Name:  IMG_2441.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  57.9 KB

For a 2 months old car, this is too much damage.. it is either from that asshole towing company or i was hit by a huge stone...
    So.. I did this..
    Name:  IMG_2443.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  43.9 KB

Now, i know this is ugly.. but until i learn how to remove the bumper, i will have to live with this, because i don't want any more damage to the car... This lower mesh was very easy to install, but cutting the mesh was the hard part.

Bonus:
    I hate driving with random noise, and this Micra does more noise than my old Yaris... and i hate that... The rattle noise is to be fixed next week with the dealership.. but there's still a "tic tac" noise when i drive fast on a highway.. well, today, i found out what it was.. There's a white cable on the left hand side (not in this picture), and a bunch of cables in the right hand side.
    these cables are too long and pretty loose.. so.. i just zip tied them together.. and no more noise... so i think the "tic tac" noise was caused by the cable hitting on the battery because of wind or something.

Name:  IMG_2436.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  45.9 KB

Some one please show a nice instructions on how to take the bumper off please :P

Thanks
    Wow, you got the top grill done!!!! You did a great job with some minor 'war wounds'. I had a few myself! One piece is so much better, up close you can see I missed one corner, overlapped a piece, and it's messy. Yours looks great! And not silver. I want to re do mine, with easier access!

My neighbor suggested to cover the grill as you did on the outside. Great idea until you can do it from the other side!
    The bent fins look like someone leaned on it with their elbow, so blame the towers!

I wondered how hard it would be to remove that cover, obviously very hard if you fought with it for 2 hours! I'd give up too. I
    I also don't have a torque wrench to remove the bumper, unless I get my son to help. There is a post of the bumper being removed, but I'd want to see it on a video if I attempted it myself.

So happy you got the top done micra2080!! I might cover my lower grill temporarily too, when it's warmer!
    Last edited by Wynter; 04-10-2016 at 05:01 PM.

Thanks
    p.s. Your English is fine. It's a hard language to learn.

Great idea to zip tie those noisy cables! No more Tic Tac noises!

Thanks
    French is harder... or try to learn Japanese... i registered for a Japanese course.. and i gave up after 2 classes.

Also.. confirmed that the cables were the source of the tic tac noises, because i untied them last night, and the noise came back.. so i tied them back again..

on the picture i had, i think not every Micra would have these cables, these cables come from the Ameriguard anti-rust device.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to micra2080 For This Useful Post:

Wynter (04-11-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by micra2080 View Post
    This is my adventure with installing this mesh... Sorry for bad english.
    Credit to all who contributed to this thread, special thanks for Vapor's Nismo badge post.

So at first, i wanted to use Vapor's method and removed the 8 nuts even dropped 2 that i can't find (zip ties to the rescue!!)
    Name:  nis.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  15.0 KB

After the 8 nuts are removed.. i spent 2 hours trying to pull that cover out.. and i gave up...
    But then there was enough space for my to put my arm in between the cover and the racks...
    However, this is what happened at the end of the work.. Ouch, it still hurts..
    Name:  IMG_2444.JPG
Views: 513
Size:  79.9 KB

So i didn't do like Wynter, the mesh was in 1 piece.. and i didn't take the grill out.. she push the mesh from the left side, but I actually push the mesh from the right side (driver side). and start immobilizing the mesh with 1 zip tie, and then zip them 1 by 1..

Name:  IMG_2434.JPG
Views: 518
Size:  92.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_2435.JPG
Views: 536
Size:  96.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_2433.JPG
Views: 460
Size:  74.0 KB

and voila!!

At first, i only wanted to do the upper grill, but as i was inspecting the low grill, i found this...
    Name:  IMG_2441.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  57.9 KB

For a 2 months old car, this is too much damage.. it is either from that asshole towing company or i was hit by a huge stone...
    So.. I did this..
    Name:  IMG_2443.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  43.9 KB

Now, i know this is ugly.. but until i learn how to remove the bumper, i will have to live with this, because i don't want any more damage to the car... This lower mesh was very easy to install, but cutting the mesh was the hard part.

Bonus:
    I hate driving with random noise, and this Micra does more noise than my old Yaris... and i hate that... The rattle noise is to be fixed next week with the dealership.. but there's still a "tic tac" noise when i drive fast on a highway.. well, today, i found out what it was.. There's a white cable on the left hand side (not in this picture), and a bunch of cables in the right hand side.
    these cables are too long and pretty loose.. so.. i just zip tied them together.. and no more noise... so i think the "tic tac" noise was caused by the cable hitting on the battery because of wind or something.

Name:  IMG_2436.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  45.9 KB

Some one please show a nice instructions on how to take the bumper off please :P
    See post #29 of this thread! It has it's own thread as well but I am not sure where lol

Thanks
    I have to get around to doing this. Superb idea. Great stuff!!!!

Thanks
    a nice surprise this morning, we had big snow this morning and the road were slushy...
    When i got home, i checked the lower mesh, only found out that it actually blocked 95% of the snow... it was pretty dry inside there.

Thanks
    I am actually thinking of re-doing the lower grill with the black cloths just like the Mazda 3 used to have.. I am not sure if anyone knows what i m talking about, but i have seen it on the road quite frequently, but i can't find a picture on google..

A bit like this one.. but replace the grill by a cloth..
    Name:  2012-mazda-3-news-mazda-3-news-car-and-driver-photo-398087-s-429x262.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  20.6 KB

Thanks
    I believe putting a protective mesh on the lower grille is much more important than on the upper grille. In fact, I suspect that the upper grille mesh may not even be necessary.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    My dad said the same thing, but I'm glad to have the top grille protected also. He just saw my car for the first time, both my parents love the Micra. Took him for a ride, he's very tall and had no issues and was impressed by it. I'll be doing the lower grille Sat. and I think with the same product you used AlphaMicra, as it will be easier. He looked under the hood and was impressed.