Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Radiator & condenser coil protection screen

Thanks
    Ok, i have a problem..

1- I have a remote starter, and there's a sticker on the hood, with a huge skull head, saying i need to put the car in "valet mode" before doing anything under the hood.... where.. is that valet mode.....

2- I really.. really don't see how you could take out the upper grill without taking out the bumper.. and Wynter, there's no way i can "slide" the mesh to the driver side from the passenger side..

Thanks
    BTW, i got these new mesh from dollarama (on the right hand side), the holes are much smaller.
    it was 2.5$ for a roll.

The nickels coins for scale,
    Name:  IMG_2415.JPG
Views: 433
Size:  62.9 KB

3. The Following User Says Thank You to micra2080 For This Useful Post:

Wynter (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    I think 'valet mode' just means the car is not running. It won't be when you install the screen, which is great, the smaller one for sure!!!

I could not figure out how to remove the grill, and then said, to heck with this, I'm getting this screen done!

I had given up many times prior, especially when I purchased what ptbo used as I realized I can't slide that whole piece in, so I knew I had to cut it in 3 pieces.

It was very hard, took me 4 hours (mostly fighting with not long enough zip ties) and then figuring out tricks.

I did manage. You can't hold the screen from the other side as you pass it to your right, you need a hook of some sort to hold the screen. Use that hook to slide it over to the drivers side. That odd piece that I said was in the way, I held it back with a flathead screwdriver to push the screen past it. My screen is wire, so it may make pushing it past that odd piece easier than your flexible screen, but if you hold the odd piece and try, I'm sure you can slide the screen past it.

Good luck, give it a try!!

If you were closer I'd help!!

Thanks
    I used needle nose pliers to hold the screen before I figured out to make a hook from a coat hangar, then used the pliers to 'move' the piece to the right, bit by bit and hooked it again each time. That is the hardest part, the far right, but what a treat to put in the last piece, using 2 hands!!

I saw a member took the top grill out, but I couldn't do that to save my life if I needed to!

Thanks
    Wynter, i am using Vapor's method, because i have got fat hands, and not easy to maneuvre for me if i use your method.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by micra2080 View Post
    Wynter, i am using Vapor's method, because i have got fat hands, and not easy to maneuvre for me if i use your method.
    Great, it should make it easier! That post from Vapor was great. I don't have the know how to do that, so it took me a lot longer, but I got it done.
    You're right, there isn't a lot of room and I almost got my arm and hand stuck in there!

Good luck!!!

Thanks
    My previous Toyota Echo had a remote starter that the previous owner had installed from the dealership. To put it in valet mode there was a toggle switch under the dashboard. I think this is how most remote car starters are set up. You might need to check your owners manual.

Thanks
    I actually found out about Valet mode from my remote starter manual.

Apparently, i can turn it off with the remote, it's like a pass code to press in a certain sequence...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to micra2080 For This Useful Post:

Vapor (04-09-2016)

Thanks
    Where did you get the remote starter? Dealer? Aftermarket?

I've been wanting to do this with mine as well, just haven't decided on type of mesh I want. And agreed that this should be done as it is like a dormant bomb waiting to go off if it hasn't happened yet. These things are thin as well when looking down at them from above I could see 2 sided by side (Front and behind) and I cant remember ever seeing a thinner radiator.
    Last edited by Vapor; 04-09-2016 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks
    The remote starter, i got it from Dealer. the brand is Fortin, it was sold to me as package when i bought my car from dealer.
    I was told that it's made in Canada... the least i can do to support local economy