Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tough Cold Starts

Thanks
    Just in for service a couple weeks ago and forgot to post but no new update. Of course the problem couldn’t be recreated because the engine was warm. They asked to have the car overnight but being the holidays I needed it. I used regular oil for the change but thinking synthetic may help with the cold starts. I see Moflow has posted the same issue so maybe just chalk it up to a Micra quirk.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HugeHaggis View Post
    Just in for service a couple weeks ago and forgot to post but no new update. Of course the problem couldn’t be recreated because the engine was warm. They asked to have the car overnight but being the holidays I needed it. I used regular oil for the change but thinking synthetic may help with the cold starts. I see Moflow has posted the same issue so maybe just chalk it up to a Micra quirk.
    I use semi-synthetic and I have since brand new. I've chalked it up to a quirk. It's never been an issue

Thanks
    literally me and moflow are clones....we have exactly the same car and exactly the same problem.....its not really a problem for me so far....its a quirk
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMicra2015 View Post
    literally me and moflow are clones....we have exactly the same car and exactly the same problem.....its not really a problem for me so far....its a quirk
    I've noticed this problem on my 2017 (Manual) SV, and only when it's cold. When it's parked indoors I dont seem to have the problem.

First thing I tried was the key fob battery, replaced that and not getting that angry red light anymore (and the doing nothing when turning the key), however I still have the issue sometimes when it's been sitting cold for a while outdoors (freezing) where it will just crank and crank for a few seconds, and nothing happens.

Usually after a few times of cranking, waiting, cranking it will start. Otherwise, the car works perfectly fine.

No lights on dash or any warnings either, and I wait with the key in the 'on' position for a bit to prime everything too... Weird.

I'd like to test the 12v battery with a multimeter next time I leave it sitting outdoors to see if the cold is lowering the voltage of the battery to cause issues? But aside from that, no ideas other than what you've already mentioned in this thread.
    Last edited by javensbukan; 11-30-2022 at 07:59 AM.

Thanks
    Similar problem on my ‘17 since new. At beginning of third winter switched to full synthetic and the problem resolved itself. It’s the quickest and cheapest option to try first. Especially if you change it yourself and buy oil on sale.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HugeHaggis For This Useful Post:

javensbukan (11-30-2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HugeHaggis View Post
    Similar problem on my ‘17 since new. At beginning of third winter switched to full synthetic and the problem resolved itself. It’s the quickest and cheapest option to try first. Especially if you change it yourself and buy oil on sale.
    Oh excellent, I'll try that. I already bought a few 4l jugs of Mobil 1 5w-30 as it was just recently on sale at Canadian Tire.

I'm pretty sure the stuff that's in it now, although fresh (apparently), is not Synthetic as it looks different (darker amber) than what used to be put in my Mitsu which was Synthetic from the Dealer, which was a much lighter yellow colour.

Anyone know an easy test to tell if it's synthetic or not?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by javensbukan View Post
    Oh excellent, I'll try that. I already bought a few 4l jugs of Mobil 1 5w-30 as it was just recently on sale at Canadian Tire.

I'm pretty sure the stuff that's in it now, although fresh (apparently), is not Synthetic as it looks different (darker amber) than what used to be put in my Mitsu which was Synthetic from the Dealer, which was a much lighter yellow colour.

Anyone know an easy test to tell if it's synthetic or not?
    What part of NS are you from? I was born and raised there

Thanks
    69000km and no problem. 100% synthetic oil.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...