Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tough Cold Starts

Thanks

Tough Cold Starts

I have a 2016 Micra SR. When it is cold in the morning it is hard to start. It will start and then stall just after running. Crank again and will start and stay running with very low idle. Only does this once in morning and then it is good all day. Is like it is loosing fuel pressure somewhere overnight. Anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks
    Turn off your radio and then put the key into the "on" position without starting the car. You should hear the fuel pump turn on to prime and pressurize the system.

Thanks
    Sometimes....about once every 2 months mine is "hard to start".....but it always does...i put it down to normal, but its a bit off putting in a new car
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Aaron GE View Post
    Turn off your radio and then put the key into the "on" position without starting the car. You should hear the fuel pump turn on to prime and pressurize the system.
    Ya thanks. I have tried that and the pump starts and pressurizes before cranking. No change..

Thanks
    How many km on the car? What year? Is it still under warranty?

Garage empty: add car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    How many km on the car? What year? Is it still under warranty?

Garage empty: add car
    It is a 2016, it has 80000km on it now, not under warranty anymore. Started doing this at about 40000km and has been to the dealer for this issue but they say it doesnt do it there which is very strange. if i brought it in now out of warranty i am sure they will find the issue now? is worse if car sits for a few days without starting.

Thanks
    Might be a dumb question but are you using the right oil? I just changed my 2018 with synthetic 0W20 and it starts perfect every time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ontario_micra View Post
    Might be a dumb question but are you using the right oil? I just changed my 2018 with synthetic 0W20 and it starts perfect every time.
    Yes i am using the proper oil 5W30 as manual states. It seem like a fuel pressure issue somewhere because after it starts in morning it is good all day no problem. I left it at the dealer for 3 days to see if they could find the problem with no results. They probably didnt even check it. They said it started great after 3 days in the winter sitting. I will have to bring somewhere else and get the system pressure checked in all areas i guess?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdoh55 View Post
    Yes i am using the proper oil 5W30 as manual states. It seem like a fuel pressure issue somewhere because after it starts in morning it is good all day no problem. I left it at the dealer for 3 days to see if they could find the problem with no results. They probably didnt even check it. They said it started great after 3 days in the winter sitting. I will have to bring somewhere else and get the system pressure checked in all areas i guess?
    The newer year models call for synthetic 0W20, so you *could* try running that in the engine and see if it improves your winter performance. I run 0W20 all year.

Second opinion never hurts either if you have one you trust.

Thanks
    I wonder if the engine is starting in a "flooded" condition or over rich mixture?
    I have a Dodge Grand Caravan with 3.6L V6 & one day I started the van, moved it 1 foot & shut off.
    The next day it was hard to start, a big cloud of grey exhaust came out & was rough idling.
    I assume because there was excess fuel in the intake from the last quick start/stop.
    The van never does this on normal driving cycle.
    My suggestion is to try my startup technique where you depress the throttle to the floor, crank the engine for 5 seconds then release the throttle completely & keep the starter ON the whole time. This should clear any unburnt fuel in the cylinders.
    It's just a guess but an easy test to try.