Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tough Cold Starts

Thanks
    Any update on the problem, Weirdoh55?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    No updates. It starts as long as i start every day. I haven't brought it back to the dealer for further testing. If i figure out what the problem is I will certainly pass the info on

Thanks
    I have a 17 S and same issue, 80,000km on it. Only does it on cold days, usually all winter long. Started the first winter I had it. Priming the fuel pump has always worked for me up until now. It won’t stall but nearly stalls. I have a manny tranny. Engines never cold enough for the dealer to have the same problem. I do think it’s an issue of lack of fuel getting to the engine. Once it’s about to stall the cpu tells it to send more fuel. This is just my working theory. I personally am not too concerned but I will mention it when it goes in for it’s next oil change and write back if I get any kind of resolve.

Thanks
    That is exactly qhat mine is doing as well. If you find out anything yes please let me know.

Thanks
    Another idea: have you searched or posted on the Versa forums? Exact same engine, so probably people over there are experiencing the same problems. And there are probably 20x more Versas on the road than Micras in North America.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Keep in mind on the Micra the pump primes in the run position but then shuts off and waits for Cam/Crank signal to restart. If you have an issue with either the cam or crank sensor there will be problems getting fuel.

Thanks
    It seems to be a common starting issue. I have a 2015 with 50K kilometers, manual trans. When it's cold -5C and below it starts fine and goes into a fast idle. In the summer when its warm, no problems. It's when it's a little cool out say 5C -0C the engine starts, then almost stalls as the RPM drops to almost zero before the ECU/fuel system kicks in and then it will idle. To date it has never really stalled out, but it always makes me think it will. It makes no difference if I prime the pump before. I had to change a faulty cam position sensor this past summer and had hoped it would improve this starting glitch, but it hasn't.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Moflow For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-25-2019)

Thanks
    Any chance you have access to an OBD2 scanner? It would nice to see if any error codes
    are stored & possibly not causing a "Check Engine" light to come on.
    I have an iphone & use a WIFI OBD2 device & use an App called OBD scanner.
    I am not sure what sensor readings to check for your problem, however I can verify on
    my car the "Fuel System Status" goes from Open Loop to Closed Loop within 10 seconds of cold
    starting. I assume this means all sensors are working & the ECU is happy.
    There is also Short term & Long term fuel trim readings which the app says are key diagnostic parameters.
    The App says these values should +/-10% which they are on my car.
    On a Subaru Ascent Forum I follow owners mention long cold cranking times & some suspect a weak battery.
    I see the following item under the Nissan emissions warranty " Idle air control system" which sounds like it
    could be related to your problem but also may not be covered after the main warranty runs out.
    Just another wild assed guess but try running Chevron Supreme with techroline for a tank or 2 to cleanup
    your fuel system. It resolved a rough running problem I had with a Yamaha portable generator.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimwilly View Post
    I have a Dodge Grand Caravan with 3.6L V6 & one day I started the van, moved it 1 foot & shut off.
    The next day it was hard to start, a big cloud of grey exhaust came out & was rough idling.
    I assume because there was excess fuel in the intake from the last quick start/stop.
    I've experienced this with a different car, exact same circumstances. It's a known problem of over-rich mixture on the next start.

What was the outside temp when that happened? A bit below freezing?

Thanks
    It was cold out but not freezing