Thread: Buyers Guide & some questions

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Buyers Guide & some questions

Hello,

In a few months we may be looking for a second car and leaning towards a compact since we have a large suv already. It will probably be a used car, 10k range. This brings the Micra to the table. Probably auto as neither of us know manual but I wouldn't mind learning in this car (doubt she would though).

What are some things to look for when purchasing a used Micra? What are its common pain points and at what mileage?

Other questions:
    * I can wrench a bit with cars. How is the Micra for DIY stuff? Judging by pics of the engine/platform some stuff appears pretty easy. Front disc brakes, accessible spark plugs, easy oil change, not sure on Alt/AC belts. Is it a timing belt or chain?
    *Is it easy to change oil in differentials (I'm assuming only a front DIF exists?), and transmission?
    *How easy is it to install a new radio header for Android Auto?
    *Are much of the Nissan Versa parts/DIY guides compatible/relatable with the Micra? Struts, axles, alternator etc? This would give peace of mind for part availability and cost too.
    *What is the model # of the 5MN and 4AT transmission? I figure it has been used in other platforms for cross reference.

Think that's it for now.

IF we go the compact car route the other contenders were the Mirage and Spark which are a turn off for me mechanically. CVT in Spark and Mirage doesn't seem to have been well received.

Thanks
    Probably the biggest issue was early on some of the 2015 cars had bearing issues that caused knocking and led to warranty engine replacements. See the engine knock test to put your mind at ease:

https://micra-forum.com/showthread.p...=test#post8956

Other than that, I can't think of any particular serious issue. Members have reported a few random and recurring smaller issues in this thread:

Thread: Micra warranty repairs -- have you had any done? Or trouble-free so far?

The Versa/Note 1.6L drivetrains are identical mechanically, except where they use the CVT, obviously.

IF we go the compact car route the other contenders were the Mirage and Spark which are a turn off for me mechanically. CVT in Spark and Mirage doesn't seem to have been well received.
    I advise friends & family members to stay away from CVT's if they're planning to keep a vehicle past the warranty period. They're super-efficient, but just not as durable as the old school slushboxes (or manuals, obviously).

Let us know what you end up doing!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...