Thread: Rolls Royce Starlight Headliner... in a Micra

Thanks

Cool Rolls Royce Starlight Headliner... in a Micra

What?

Rolls Royce vehicles can come with an optional starlight headliner that consists of about 1000 individual LEDs. I was able to do the same for my Micra but with 200 LEDs instead.

I used the following fiber optic LED kit: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are cheaper kits available on Amazon, but I chose this one because it has the "twinkle" feature. The light module utilizes a plate (with several holes punched through) attached to a motor that creates a twinkling effect.

My phone is not the best at low light video, but this attached video shows the effect clearly:

How?

For power, I decided to utilize a cigarette lighter inverter and the provided 12V power cable. I am sure that it is possible to hardwire the module, but that is outside my area of expertise.

Here is a link to the inverter in case you are interested: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The installation process is relatively simple but can be time-consuming. I started by removing my headliner from my Micra. Then I marked and numbered places where I would insert the lights. Next, I created the holes using a pushpin, inserted the fiber optic wire, and used a hot glue gun to keep it in place. Finally, I cut the wires flush to the headliner and reinstalled it into my car.

I followed this video throughout the installation:

Pictures

Here are a couple of pictures I captured during and after the installation process.
    Name:  20190517_142606.jpg
Views: 2204
Size:  96.4 KB

Name:  20190517_214435.jpg
Views: 2214
Size:  80.1 KB

I will try to take some better pictures of the lights this weekend.

Thanks
    How hard was it to remove the headliner? I have an insane buzz/rattle I need to fix before I lose my mind, but will have to take out the headliner.
    Micra Meets: Mosport '18

Car Girls FTW.

Interior mods only right now.

Thanks
    I did not find removing the headliner difficult.

You just have to first unscrew both sun visors, the map light, the passenger side grab-handle, and the screws holding the b-pillars in place (the screws are hidden behind the SRS Airbag pop-out window). The c-pillars are just clipped in so a slight tug loosens them from the body. Also, you will most likely need to detach the black weatherstripping located at each door sill. It comes out with ease once you pry the flap/fold away from the body and pull.

After that, you just have to gently tug the headliner to remove it.

Thanks
    Are the stars astronomically correct?

I remember reading about an old church that had a starry scene painted inside, and some astronomer recognized it was an accurate depiction of part of the night sky, probably around Christmas time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    If I got the 500 light kit, I could have thrown some constellations into the mix

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Parmejohn For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-20-2019)

Thanks
    Thanks for the detailed info!

Added to ....
    Thread: Micra modifications, customizations & DIY list

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    OMG! I wants! lol
    pretty neat.