Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this possible? Mileage of 5.4 litres / 100 kms with automatic transmission

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Is this possible? Mileage of 5.4 litres / 100 kms with automatic transmission

I drive a 2015 automatic Micra. I just drove 400 KMS today....98% highway driving from near Vancouver to Osoyoos BC. I reset my mileage calculator and it is telling me that I averaged using 5.4 litres for 100 kms. I have never seen that even for a manual transmission....so is it possible? Unfortunately I did not start out with a full tank so I can't calculate it that way. It does seem that I did that distance on about half a tank of gas.... Amazing!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Sorry, but I doubt that the actual fuel usage could be that low considering that Osoyoos BC is at an elevation 280 m higher than Vancouver. The onboard calculator has never been accurate in my experience. The only way you can calculate your fuel usage accurately is to keep accurate records over a long period of time. The easiest way is by using the Micra Fuel Economy Log or a similar service such as Fuelly.com.

Thanks
    I wish I had started out with a full tank ...would have been more accurate when I filled up. In any event, I went a long way on my 3/4 tank. Good thing too as that gas was 1.61 a litre!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I would add about 10% to your 5.4 litres. I filled my 2016 automatic to the point where gas was slopping but not spilling. Repeated next time and got 6.2 l/100km. The dash read out was 5.2. This was on Vancouver Island, the old hiway between Courtenay and Nanaimo with putt putts through Parksville and Qualicum for half the distance and the rest running around Courtenay/Comox.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupert Rabbit View Post
    I would add about 10% to your 5.4 litres. I filled my 2016 automatic to the point where gas was slopping but not spilling. Repeated next time and got 6.2 l/100km. The dash read out was 5.2.
    Yup, 10% was the worst discrepancy I saw when I compared actual fills to the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by patty
    Just filled up and per my calculations, it was 6.5 litres per 100 km.
    Yeah, so you were likely under 6 L/100 for that trip. Congrats!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Just filled up and per my calculations, it was 6.5 litres per 100 km. However, that includes 3 days of city driving...not much, but some. And no highway driving. So a guess would be maybe 6.2 for this trip so far.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patty View Post
    So a guess would be maybe 6.2 for this trip so far.
    Start using the MICRA FUEL ECONOMY LOG. The link to it is near the top, right side of this page. After a couple of fill-up you won't have to "GUESS", you will "KNOW". It is easy to use and you may decide to slightly modify your driving habits when you see the results.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tomcj2 For This Useful Post:

patty (05-22-2019)

Thanks

It's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by patty View Post
    5.4 litres for 100 kms. I have never seen that even for a manual transmission....so is it possible?
    Yes. It's entirely possible, under ideal conditions and with careful driving.

I got 5.4L / 100 km (calculated at the pump) over 2 tanks of gas with an automatic Micra SR. See: https://micra-forum.com/m-fuel-log.php?vehicleid=7334

I got 4.8 L/100 km for one tank of gas in a manual S Micra:

The fuel economy display on that tank was optimistic by ~10% - it reported 4.4 L/100 km.

https://micra-forum.com/m-fuel-log.php?vehicleid=7320

For a 100% highway trip, the automatic Micra can potentially get better mileage than a manual, because the automatic has a better (more efficient) top gear ratio once the torque converter locks.

Getting amazing mileage requires: good (warm) weather, proper tire pressure, careful and smooth driving, and moderate cruising speeds. Speed kills fuel economy.

Thread: Tested: Speed vs. MPG/fuel economy, 2015 Micra SR automatic & Micra S 5-spd manual

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Considering I did a mountain pass of about 1300 meters, I do think my little car did very well. My only problem with my Micra is the small wheels. One day maybe I will have a car with respectable sized wheels.

Thanks
    i have a manual and its stuck on 6.1 basically....i believe 5.4 IS possible but maybe a little optimistic...but mostly i believe METRO MPG!!...lol

Patty..i run 17" wheels...it looks better thats about it there isn't ALOT you can do with tire size to affect gear ratio...some, not alot
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!