Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices... (Are you doing anything to save gas?)

Senior Member Micra In The Mountains's Avatar
    Thanks

Smile Gas Prices... (Are you doing anything to save gas?)

Gas in Vancouver hovers above $1.70 a litre — is this what the rest of Canada is in for?

https://globalnews.ca/news/5201572/g...couver-canada/

Now that the summer driving season is almost upon us, I'd like to start a discussion about how the increasing gasoline prices have affected your driving habits, travel plans, daily commute, etc. Even with our fuel-sipping Micras we're all affected to a certain extent depending on your local gas prices and what you use your Micra for. Here in Edmonton as of this posting regular gas has been hovering around $1.16 or so per litre; I've actually started using public transit (i.e. our light rail train) instead of the Little Guy for my daily commute to work, and using him only on evenings and weekends. We've also started "bundling" our trips (i.e. doing as may errands as possible on one single car trip than making several) and using store loyalty gas discounts whenever possible. I figure we're probably saving about $100 or so per month on gas, having to tank him up just once every 3-4 weeks now. Love to hear everyone's stories, should be a lively discussion!

Last edited by Micra In The Mountains; 04-27-2019 at 06:04 PM.
    Nice!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Micra In The Mountains For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-10-2019)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Micra In The Mountains View Post
    Gas in Vancouver hovers above $1.70 a litre — is this what the rest of Canada is in for?

https://globalnews.ca/news/5201572/g...couver-canada/

Love to hear everyone's stories, should be a lively discussion!
    I’m surprised that nobody has jumped on this thread.

I am thankful that I live in Canada where gasoline is so low priced. I realize that prices change constantly but we normally have the third lowest price of all OECD countries, only Mexico and the USA were lower during the last quarter of 2018. https://aip.com.au/pricing/internati...ce-comparisons

The “average” Canadian drives 15,200 km/yr. https://www.ahainsurance.ca/car-insu...r-year-canada/

Based on fuel price of $1.50 /litre and fuel consumption of 7 litres/100 km we pay about $4.37 per day. I cannot take public transportation for so little.

I would love to pay only $2 per day but that is unlikely to happen so I conserve as best I can by the “normal” methods. One thing I just learned was how to save fuel while coasting down a long hill: leave it in drive. Do not shift to neutral or depress the clutch. A modern engine will use zero fuel by just leaving it in gear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOc-0l3lfrY

Just remember that your right foot is attached to a valve. The more you open the valve the faster you drain both your tank and your wallet.
    Last edited by tomcj2; 04-29-2019 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks
    Transit still cheaper if one factors in the actual cost to run a Micra...but not as fun lol.

Thanks
    the OECD only has 36 members :P but I like living 10 minutes from the US... I head over at least twice a month... it's going for 94.3 right now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    No surprise to people who know me, but driving efficiently is a hobby of mine. I do it almost all the time, whether gas is $0.90 or $1.50 / L.

My latest fill-up in my beater 2000 Metro was 3.3 L / 100 km. I went 1035 km on that tank. (Could have done another 150 if I wanted to run it on fumes.)

The Metro is modded for better fuel economy. You can do it to a Micra too: Experiment: 7 aero mods + tire PSI = 10% better fuel consumption at 90 km/h

I'm also lucky to live in an area where I can take the scenic 80 km/h routes and there's hardly any traffic. Meaning I have more lattitude to use eco-driving techniques without pissing off other drivers (eg. driving the speed limit, or a little less if I'm not holding anybody up).

I also rarely drive in the city - most of my local travel is by bike. The car gets used almost exclusively for highway trips.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    i bought an e bike and have started using that for at least 4 days a week commute in vancouver...i got in the micra and there was a cobweb!..to be honest the Ebike is a hoot, super fun and 94.876% more dangerous.

tomjc2 seems to have done the same math i did...lol

short stoy is i can afford to take the ebike on transit ONE WAY, but must ride the other way or it doesn't make economic sense
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMicra2015 For This Useful Post:

Azmodon (05-13-2019)

Thanks
    How far a commute?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    5kms +transit in morning, 24 km+ no transit at nite=3.55$

gas for 50 km round trip around 5 $...so crazy savings!
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Not doing anything about fuel prices as they add taxes to save the planet. We don't have a big truck or SUV, just a 2015 Micra SV that does 5.6L/100K and a 2015 Volkswagen Golf TDI with all the emissions fixings done, that does 51MPG. We have done enough. Transit is not a solution for myself as there is no transit to my worksite and the wife has found Edmonton Transit Services too unreliable to use.
    Going to electric cars or so called "zero emissions" vehicles is not affordable and would increase our "carbon footprint" if we bought a new one. Keeping your vehicle in tip top shape (oil/filer/air filter/tuned) and tire pressure up would do more.

Senior Member Micra In The Mountains's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have a friend (with another smaller car from another manufacturer) who slightly over-inflates all 4 tires by 2-3 psi (from 33 to 35 psi) over the summer months; claims that he can get an extra 3-5 litres per 100 km if he "runs the tires harder" than factory spec. IMHO, tire pressure goes up by that amount or more anyway over recommended psi when driving on warm / hot asphalt over the spring & summer months, plus you may wear out the centre tread faster.

Nice!