Thread: Wet stock air filter while driving (causing hesitation/loss of power)

Thanks

Wet stock air filter while driving (causing hesitation/loss of power)

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue to what I'm experiancing. I am currently in the middle of a long days drive ~850kms and I was driving through heavy rain and snow for about 300kms. I started having a random hesitation while on the highway in which I lost all power for half a second and the car bogged or hesitated. I pulled over at a McDonalds and my air filter was soaked! I've since pulled into a parts source cleaned it all out and replaced the filter. I'm hoping that is the issue but only time will tell as I continue my drive.. any other thoughts as to what might be causing the issue? I had a look at my fuel lines and there doesnt appear to be any leaks but everything is wet and I'm not sure.. also I dont have any CELs on..

Attached pictures of my wet filter..

Any thoughts or anyone else with a similar experiance

Name:  20190427_092929.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  92.2 KB

Name:  20190427_094939.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  93.2 KB

N/A Subaru Addict...
    First Nissan Commuter

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobaganousch For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-10-2019)

Thanks
    The stock snorkel system on our cars is supposed to stop water from reaching the filter (it pulls from in front of the drivers wheel), but it could be possible - or the filter box lid was ajar and got hit with a few waves, either way, water hitting the MAF will cause power issues as it's detecting temperature changes to determine fuel input. Hitting the wire with water can damage it, but the sudden effect is the computer going "you need more gas, have all of it, right now", add to that actual water, and you could literally flood the engine :P

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    It seems to have been the wet filter causing my issues. I pulled into a partsource lot bought some shop towels brake cleaner and a new filter took the intake apart and gave it all a good dry off. Once I did that my issues went away and I haven't had anymore issues since so far.

I'm glad that I took care of it asap. I could only imagine if it had of tried go do it at low speed or idle. Hydro locking due to a wet filter wouldve been a day ruined for sure haha.

I'm going to put some more though into a bit of a different set up with the intake to hopefully ensure that this doesnt happen again.
    N/A Subaru Addict...
    First Nissan Commuter

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobaganousch For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-10-2019)

Thanks
    if you're not modifying the intake, you can still get a hydrophobic pre-filter that usually would be put on a pod filter and cover the snorkel like tube... zip tie it around the neck, would stop a lot of debris and most of the water (if it's being drawn up that way)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    That's a good idea. Il take a look at some next weekend. Any brands or things to look for or stay away from?
    N/A Subaru Addict...
    First Nissan Commuter

Thanks
    They're all pretty much the same, I have a K&N one on right now, have had Injen prior... as far as I can tell they're all the same material.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Azmodon For This Useful Post:

Bobaganousch (04-30-2019)