Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Questions For Long Term Micra Owners

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    28
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Questions For Long Term Micra Owners

    Since joining this forum, i noticed that there are many owners who purchased 2015 Micras. I am curious as to what issues you have all had since purchasing the vehicle. How many kilometers do you have on your car and what have have you run into. From what I have read on the internet, many owners have had issues with the Electronic Throttle Actuator and Circuitry While others have had issues with bearings, shock absorbers, and suspension bushings. Most of these issues were considered premature wear and tear, and not covered under warranty and the ones that would have been arose after the warranty expired.

    My biggest concern was around excessive oil consumption and engine issues that some owners stated surfaced. In some cases this required engine replacement. I am not as concerned as my cousin who works in parts and service at the dealer where I bought my vehicle assured me that this was primarily a Nissan Micra 2015 issue. Since that time, he told me that Nissan updated all the seals on the engines and the problem based on what he has seen has not surfaced again.

    More than anything I am curious. I suspect poor break in of the vehicle can also contribute to long term issues And n that point, I may be guilty Sorry but the car is just too much fun to not drive assertively, and after 800 km, i just got sick of driving it like a grandpa and getting tail gaited to no end.

    P.S. For any of you long time owners who also installed a HP Short Ran Cold Air Intake, have you experience any long term issues(i.e, engine check light being triggered)


    Last edited by TinyMicTim; 04-22-2019 at 09:15 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Azmodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Niagara Falls Canada
    Posts
    239
    Thanks
    86
    Thanked 114 Times in 71 Posts
    You can go through my garage for a semi up to date list of mods, but as far as issues go I've only had 2, the most recent being the driver side door... plastic, keepy open thing... I have no idea what it's called, cracking out of the door (which is an easy fix). Second is the catalytic converters flange rusting through (reason I've put together my own, really need to install it lol). No other mechanical or electrical issues, and I've tied in to a bunch of it, swapped lights inside, put in projectors, new horn, intake, exhaust, coilovers (reusing stock mounting bushings) etc. I think I'm around 145K km. Have never had a check engine except when I tried to test out LED brake lights. The computer demands that circuit be loaded or you go in to limp mode.

    If my engine ever dies I'll be headed to a wrecker, engines with >40K go for about 350, same with transmissions.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...


  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azmodon For This Useful Post:

    MetroMPG (04-25-2019),TinyMicTim (04-22-2019)

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    28
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmodon View Post
    You can go through my garage for a semi up to date list of mods, but as far as issues go I've only had 2, the most recent being the driver side door... plastic, keepy open thing... I have no idea what it's called, cracking out of the door (which is an easy fix). Second is the catalytic converters flange rusting through (reason I've put together my own, really need to install it lol). No other mechanical or electrical issues, and I've tied in to a bunch of it, swapped lights inside, put in projectors, new horn, intake, exhaust, coilovers (reusing stock mounting bushings) etc. I think I'm around 145K km. Have never had a check engine except when I tried to test out LED brake lights. The computer demands that circuit be loaded or you go in to limp mode.

    If my engine ever dies I'll be headed to a wrecker, engines with >40K go for about 350, same with transmissions.
    That is Awesome! and good to know. Many thanks for sharing your experience. Did you install the HP or Injen Short Ran Intake or was it another third party after market cold air intake? I am debating about whether to install one or not. I was worried, it could trigger a long term issue and void my warranty. Having said that, I am good friends with the Nissan Tech at the dealership, so we could do the install all on the side I may be able to get him to keep his mouth shut if a problem arises.So, I could preserve my warranty by pulling a "Trump" with him. As long as Nissan cannot prove Collusion, I should be okay, lol

    Also, do you drive your car hard or have you been driving it hard. Quick acceleration, borderline speeding, or do you tend to baby your car and drive more in eco mode fashion. From what I understand, driving like a mad man can create more long term issues that may or may not be covered under any basic or even extended warranty. I ask because I cannot shake off driving the car like I stole it. I use to own a Mazda Speed 3 before I purchase my Micra and I could drive that car like a mad man. However, given it was a sports performance car, it was more tolerant of being road abused. I don't know if the same can be said for the Micra as i have had the car for too short a time to gauge how tolerant it is of abusive driving.

  5. #4
    Senior Member Azmodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Niagara Falls Canada
    Posts
    239
    Thanks
    86
    Thanked 114 Times in 71 Posts
    I have the Injen meant for the Versa - I would suggest getting the HKS though as I had to cut in to the hood, and even then it rubbed, so I've now gone to a smaller filter. Sitting on top of the battery just doesn't seem like the best place, and it'd be easier to build a heat shield than to tin-snip the hood.

    You won't have issue with warranty unless it's "related", Canada has quite a bit of precedent even without the magnus act. Your wheel bearing isn't effected by your intake etc. If you were to have intake issues... just save the old intake and swap it back? I still have all my stock components (but that's for fixing any issues on another micra).

    I tend not to accelerate hard from stops, usually maxing out around 3K due to noise. If I'm doing a road trip or something I do my best to keep it efficient... but there are several fun chicanes near my house, both on and off ramps, a few short on and off ramps with next to no run off so I get some good cornering fun out of it. I definitely bring it up to 5K in a few sections somewhat regularly, and I have to swap out my cat before I can really determine if I've got a leak in the exhaust side anywhere as there's been a smell recently. That'll be in the next two weeks.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...


  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    windsor ontario
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    My Micra is 2015 SV MT.
    Has about 57,000 ok.
    absolutely no issues. Just oil changes and tire rotations.
    The tires are almost worn out though.

    Lease is up in October. Not sure of my next step at this time.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skill57 For This Useful Post:

    MetroMPG (04-25-2019),TinyMicTim (04-22-2019)

  8. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    28
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmodon View Post
    I have the Injen meant for the Versa - I would suggest getting the HKS though as I had to cut in to the hood, and even then it rubbed, so I've now gone to a smaller filter. Sitting on top of the battery just doesn't seem like the best place, and it'd be easier to build a heat shield than to tin-snip the hood.

    You won't have issue with warranty unless it's "related", Canada has quite a bit of precedent even without the magnus act. Your wheel bearing isn't effected by your intake etc. If you were to have intake issues... just save the old intake and swap it back? I still have all my stock components (but that's for fixing any issues on another micra).

    I tend not to accelerate hard from stops, usually maxing out around 3K due to noise. If I'm doing a road trip or something I do my best to keep it efficient... but there are several fun chicanes near my house, both on and off ramps, a few short on and off ramps with next to no run off so I get some good cornering fun out of it. I definitely bring it up to 5K in a few sections somewhat regularly, and I have to swap out my cat before I can really determine if I've got a leak in the exhaust side anywhere as there's been a smell recently. That'll be in the next two weeks.
    Thanks again Azmodon. I was thinking the same. I saw pictures of both the Injen and HPS installed, and it seems the HPS would definitely be a better fit. Also, I agree with you, I don't like the idea of a cold air intake filter cramped on top of the battery. I read someone made a special bracket her for the injen to create a better fit, but as I recall he never did install it as he traded the car. Also, I was thinking the same, keep the stock filter and housing once I replace it with the HPS and if a problem surfaces, put the stock filter back on before taking it into the dealership. The Nissan tech I am talking about lives a 15 minute drive from me, so I can get him to do to the change over in his garage before i take it in.

    Fingers crossed that my micra can endure the abuse I am exposing it too without too many problems long term I am guessing my tires and breaks will take a beating and will need to be replaced sooner than normal. But. I can live with replacing those if needed. I am thinking it this car doesn't prove abuse worthy over the long run, the next car I purchase will again be a sports performance car.

  9. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    28
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skill57 View Post
    My Micra is 2015 SV MT.
    Has about 57,000 ok.
    absolutely no issues. Just oil changes and tire rotations.
    The tires are almost worn out though.

    Lease is up in October. Not sure of my next step at this time.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I think you were smart to lease your car. I financed mine. Since I cannot predict what my abusive driving habits will do to the car long term, it may have been smarter to go the lease route.

  10. #8
    Administrator MetroMPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    Posts
    4,376
    Thanks
    1,434
    Thanked 552 Times in 427 Posts
    Driving the car "assertively" shouldn't really affect longevity, provided you keep on top of maintenance. For peace of mind, go with the "severe service" schedule for fluid changes (more often).

    Of course, you'll go through brakes, tires and clutch quicker than grandpa-driving, but that's not really a reliability issue.

    What year/trim/trans do you have? Feel free to make a garage page: add car

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...


  11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

    TinyMicTim (04-25-2019)

  12. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    28
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Driving the car "assertively" shouldn't really affect longevity, provided you keep on top of maintenance. For peace of mind, go with the "severe service" schedule for fluid changes (more often).

    Of course, you'll go through brakes, tires and clutch quicker than grandpa-driving, but that's not really a reliability issue.

    What year/trim/trans do you have? Feel free to make a garage page: add car
    Thanks for that useful information. No clutch to worry about as it is a 2019 Micra SV Automatic. I will do a garage entry I am just waiting to install a cold air intake and do the summer change over to summer tires and alloy wheels.

  13. #10
    Administrator MetroMPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    Posts
    4,376
    Thanks
    1,434
    Thanked 552 Times in 427 Posts
    Another thread to read to learn about potential problems:

    Thread: Micra warranty repairs -- have you had any done? Or trouble-free so far?




        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •