Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Filter Recommendations

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Oil Filter Recommendations

So, I was reading that a good oil filter is just as important if not important than even the quality of oil used. I know I cannot go wrong using a Nissan Oil Filter. Having said that, I am curious as to what members are using for an oil filter during oil changes and your experience(s) with various non Nissan Oil Filters.

Thanks

Thanks
    Almost anything except FRAM. WIX is highly rated. NAPA Silver or Gold are made by WIX and they put them on sale quite often.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tomcj2 For This Useful Post:

TinyMicTim (04-19-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcj2 View Post
    Almost anything except FRAM. WIX is highly rated. NAPA Silver or Gold are made by WIX and they put them on sale quite often.
    The Nissan OEM filter is made by FRAM, I've read that here. I still wouldn't buy a FRAM filter based on the teardown videos I've seen. But I've had two changes so far at the dealership using their OEM oil and filter, no issues. Easy way to avoid messing with the warranty.

I've used Mobil One filter and Pennzoil high mileage synthetic on the Escape we have. It was an oil filter, not spectacular. FRAM has a good idea with their non-slip grip on the filters.

Here are some part numbers that are supposed to be compatible with the Micra K13 that might be available off the shelf around you:

K&N HP-1008
    FRAM PH6607

Lots of good oil talk in this thread here.

Thanks
    Many thanks for the info. The oil thread was really interesting. So if I am reading that thread correctly, Nissan could deny an engine warranty claim if I don’t use their OEM filter even if the Napa Gold Oil filter may be superior.

Also I read that lots of members are using different viscosity oils My manual recommends 0W20 motor oil. Again I suspect, Nissan could deny a engine relates warranty claim for failing to follow the manual recommendation. I read an interesting article where this happened with someone with a Ford and Ford was within its right to deny the claim https://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/28/...-car-warranty/

Given my car is still under warranty, I think I will stick to the Nissan Oil Filter and Viscosity. I have the advantage of my Cousin who works in Parts And Service and his Nissan Top Tech Friend he has connected me with. I may talk with him further about this issue and get his take on it based on what he had seen with other customers cars he has worked on

Thanks
    The link you posted refers to the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act which is a US law and not enforceable in Canada. You should refer to the Manitoba Consumer Protection Act. There is probably a Federal Competitions Act that would also apply. I think that if OE oil and filter was mandatory there would not be any oil change shops in business.
    As far as oil type and viscosity, I can see no reason to use anything other than the recommended synthetic 0W-20 oil. I personally would use any nationally known brand at the best price I could find and that probably would not be from a Nissan dealer.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomcj2 For This Useful Post:

Azmodon (04-22-2019),TinyMicTim (04-20-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcj2 View Post
    The link you posted refers to the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act which is a US law and not enforceable in Canada. You should refer to the Manitoba Consumer Protection Act. There is probably a Federal Competitions Act that would also apply. I think that if OE oil and filter was mandatory there would not be any oil change shops in business.
    As far as oil type and viscosity, I can see no reason to use anything other than the recommended synthetic 0W-20 oil. I personally would use any nationally known brand at the best price I could find and that probably would not be from a Nissan dealer.
    Did Nissan change the oil type for these cars in 2019 0W - 20 from the 2015 5W-30? They did. 2018 also.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 10.0 L/100 km ... 28.4 mpg (Imp) ... 10.0 km/L ... 23.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Now your making me question if I should switch to the 0w20 haha.. I'm running the 5w30 penzoil platinum with a factory filter and it still comes out clean after 10,000kms.

Also I have been buying my filters in a group of ten per time and the parts guys have given me a discount when I've asked due to buying in bulk
    N/A Subaru Addict...
    First Nissan Commuter

Thanks
    Does anyone with a 2018 or 2019 have there engine knocking at 2000rpms? Last time I checked was a 2017

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 10.0 L/100 km ... 28.4 mpg (Imp) ... 10.0 km/L ... 23.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgoedhard View Post
    Does anyone with a 2018 or 2019 have there engine knocking at 2000rpms? Last time I checked was a 2017
    I have a Nissan Micra 2019 SV. I haven't noticed any engine knocking at 20000 rpm. But, my car only as 2300km so may be too early for anything like that to surface just yet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyMicTim View Post
    I have a Nissan Micra 2019 SV. I haven't noticed any engine knocking at 20000 rpm. But, my car only as 2300km so may be too early for anything like that to surface just yet.
    I would think so, as I don't think the engine exists any more at 20,000 RPM :P