Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exterior courtesy lights. Will be a DIY, planning for now.

Thanks

Exterior courtesy lights. Will be a DIY, planning for now.

So, for those of us with fobs, you know the interior lights come on when you unlock.

I'll be ordering a pair of flush mount eagle eyes or similar (1/2" flush mount LEDs) drilling a hole in the underside of the mirrors, installing them and then running wiring back to the interior dome light and tying in directly. A couple watts won't require a relay or fuse beyond what the circuit already has in place.

Anybody have experience removing the mirror glass? That may be the only tricky part of this operation for me. Advice on that side of things with heated mirrors?

I know this forum is... slow, hoping somebody has experience.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Micra SV manual: 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.8 mpg (Imp) ... 14.8 km/L ... 34.8 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Any side mirror I've ever removed has always been a press fit. If you have a spudger or other non-marring / wide flat device, you basically just tip the mirror up or inboard, and pry the thing off, applying pressure close to the mounting ring (I believe Nissan's use a ~2" circular ring of plastic tabs in the middle of the glass), it should just pop out - it'll have wires plugged into the mounting plate.

I'll give it a try tonight, if the sun's still up when I leave work, and provide pictures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Most excellent.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Micra SV manual: 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.8 mpg (Imp) ... 14.8 km/L ... 34.8 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmodon View Post
    Any side mirror I've ever removed has always been a press fit. If you have a spudger or other non-marring / wide flat device, you basically just tip the mirror up or inboard, and pry the thing off, applying pressure close to the mounting ring (I believe Nissan's use a ~2" circular ring of plastic tabs in the middle of the glass), it should just pop out - it'll have wires plugged into the mounting plate.

I'll give it a try tonight, if the sun's still up when I leave work, and provide pictures.
    Mind grabbing me a clearance measurement from underside the mirror stuffs to the base? Worried a 12mm stem (with wiring behind) may make contact depending on where I thread it through.

Thanks
    Sure, and if it does, you can always just use a ribbon SMD.

Something like this:
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ent-light/639/

They've already got an inline CC driver so you just wire them up, and they're weatherproof. You'd just need a 3mm x 8mm slit to fit the head through and stick it to the bottom of the mirror.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmodon View Post
    Sure, and if it does, you can always just use a ribbon SMD.

Something like this:
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ent-light/639/

They've already got an inline CC driver so you just wire them up, and they're weatherproof. You'd just need a 3mm x 8mm slit to fit the head through and stick it to the bottom of the mirror.
    Oh way easier than the stem for an eagle eye. Thanks a heap.

Thanks
    tipped the mirror so it was facing as far away from the car as possible - grabbed the inside lip and with gentle tugs it let go

Name:  Side Mirror 1.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  39.5 KB

Name:  Side Mirror 2.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  29.4 KB

Name:  Side Mirror 3.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  32.2 KB

Name:  Side Mirror 4.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  39.6 KB

reattaching it is just remembering that none of the tabs on the mirrors back go in to any of the slots and stuff on the round mounting plate, they go around it. So get it centred, give it a wiggle (there are things the mirrors tabs will hit (the 4 little circles around the edge) on either side so it can only fit on in one orientation... palm the middle of the glass, brace the back of the entire body, and squeeze until it pops back on.

I'd suggest using a light to look through on a few sides just to make sure the tabs have seated.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Azmodon For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-04-2019)

Thanks
    %$#@. Just did the math.

I can get 4 of those for $9.96. Great, I can do a fun little project for a decent price.

$9.96 for 4 lights, and a sweet upgrade.
    $19.83 for shipping.
    $4.98 for duties which I always pay from them.
    NB tax on everything, 15%.

That's $40. That takes it outside of "fun Sunday project" into "I can do more with that money".

Screw it. Not worth it. Any Canadian suppliers?

Thanks
    And we posted at the same time nearly.

Itll, be a future project, when I can toss $40 for a novelty.

Thanks
    I always forget that there are people that don't live at the border :P I don't pay shipping, or duty usually. If you can find a local LED supplier (with a website of parts) let me know and I'll figure out what you need to build the same thing.