Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So, what am I missing with my fuel economy? 2018 5MT CDM Micra.

Thanks
    Fair enough.

And yeah, we sold a mobile home with no land and a $800 a month pad rent, moved across the country, bought a 4 bedroom home on an acre and bought the Micra, and still are up a couple grand. Plus we are both back in our careers here since the job market is a lot easier here.

No regrets, aside from the ****ing tax here

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Micra SV manual: 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.8 mpg (Imp) ... 14.8 km/L ... 34.8 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spacewolf View Post
    I did some testing on my end the last two days since replying to this thread.
    It's been -5 to +5 here (all the wind bringing in some warmth from the Pacific).

Average on my 2017 SV 5MT:
    - 6.4L/100KM trying to hypermile

Route to work/home:
    11Km trip (22 round) x 4 = 88Km Total

Other factors:
    - Temp between -5 and +5
    - Altitude 2100-2200ft
    - Studded winter tires still on
    - Wind 35-65km/h
    - Custom CAI (everything else stock)
    - Stock 15x5.5 steelies, winter tires @33PSI
    I'll do a hypermile tank fully on my next one. Have a half tank now, so by early next week I'll have numbers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Micra SV manual: 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.8 mpg (Imp) ... 14.8 km/L ... 34.8 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Fair enough.

And yeah, we sold a mobile home with no land and a $800 a month pad rent, moved across the country, bought a 4 bedroom home on an acre and bought the Micra, and still are up a couple grand. Plus we are both back in our careers here since the job market is a lot easier here.

No regrets, aside from the ****ing tax here
    It's definitely not a bad area to settle down in if you're at the right point in your career. The real estate there is a joke compared to anywhere out West (huge housing crisis in the Yukon too).

However, I'd have to take a pay cut with no forward mobility unless somebody dies if I moved back East. The industry just isn't there yet.

The insane housing prices aren't so bad with the trade off in mountains/scenery/lifestyle and job stability and employment opportunities. I'd be more concerned about the real estate investment if it trended boom/bust.
    Although if I lived down in the GVA I'd get half the experience, paid 20% less and have to work twice as hard. Always a tradeoff somewhere...

My family just left NL for Halifax because of the tax hikes among other things. Extra tax on home and car insurance, extra gasoline tax, HST increase from 8->10% and on top of all that residents are forced to pay 700$/year just to live there.

All of that to try and recoup the butchered natural resource projects like the hydroelectric plant at Muskrat Falls.

Thanks
    I'll do a hypermile tank fully on my next one. Have a half tank now, so by early next week I'll have numbers.
    As soon as I stop minding my driving habits, it goes right back up to around 7.2L/100Km.

Thanks
    As soon as I stop minding my driving habits, it goes right back up to around 7.2L/100Km.
    Just reset the dash and did a one way trip to work, 55km/
    60 for a bit, 85 half way, 98 the other half.

Dash says 5.8. Knowing how far "optimistic" it is, that's 6.4. Better, cold start -11C, -5 by the time I'm at work.

Honestly I think its just been cross winds and cold weather.
    Last edited by nickels; 03-21-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Thanks
    Just reset the dash and did a one way trip to work, 55km/h.
    60 for a bit, 85 half way, 98 the other half.

Dash says 5.8. Knowing how far "optimistic" it is, that's 6.4. Better, cold start -11C, -5 by the time I'm at work.

Honestly I think its just been cross winds and cold weather.
    That's very likely. My running average over winter was 8.0L/100Km... Cold plus idling all the time to warm it up.

However, I do find the tradeoff pretty good in our little 5MTs between power, fun to drive, economy and utility/ride height. No complex systems or turbos to worry about either.

Other more economical options I had looked at can't get out of their own way (Prius C, Mirage).

Thanks
    That's very likely. My running average over winter was 8.0L/100Km... Cold plus idling all the time to warm it up.

However, I do find the tradeoff pretty good in our little 5MTs between power, fun to drive, economy and utility/ride height. No complex systems or turbos to worry about either.

Other more economical options I had looked at can't get out of their own way (Prius C, Mirage).
    I own a 2018 Mirage. It's great at what it does. 4.4l/100 with moderate hypermiling. Nothing can touch it.

Thanks
    5.0 displayed for the drive home. 11C.

Damn.

Thanks
    Any particular reason for running a grill block? It doesn't get cold enough to warrant one where you live and in the summer they can only stand to do damage to your vehicle if you leave them on. In the winter use a block heater.
    The Micra's grille has WAY too much unnecessarily open area. Zero attention paid to aero efficiency gains to be had (not to mention possibly faster warm-up). Whereas the Versa Note (same engine/manual trans) was much better designed:

The diagonal lines show where the radiator is. Everywhere orange is wide open.

Here's the Versa Note's front end for comparison. Also notice the blocked "faux grille" sections that the Micra didn't get?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Ajijic (03-25-2019)

Thanks
    5.0 displayed for the drive home. 11C.

Damn.
    Another factor not mentioned yet: Your Micra will also likely improve as it breaks in.

But it looks like you've already put your finger on it: ambient temperature has a huge effect on economy. It affects so many things, from rolling resistance, to air density (aero drag), to how long your engine runs rich, to viscosity changes in all the lubricants.

It wouldn't be unusual to see a 15-20% swing in fuel economy from summer to winter:

Why your Micra's fuel economy is worse in the winter

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...