Thread: When To Get First Oil Change For New Micra

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

When To Get First Oil Change For New Micra

Hello folks, I purchased a New(2019) Nissan Micra about 2 weeks ago. I am wondering when it would be the best time to change the oil. I have heard different things. One school of thought says that the car has special "break in oil" so you should not change it too soon. The other school of thought says that due to metal bits that enter the oil due to break in process, it is best to flush the oil with new oil and not wait too long. With my previous Mazda3 speed I was getting oil changes every three months as I was doing lots of stop and go driving and was told that is best. I also do lots of stop and go driving with this car and it has only 400 kilometres so far. To further confuse matters, I had to get an issue looked at and I took the car in to the dealership for that. They put one of those oil change stickers on the windshield stating next oil change due at 6000 kilometres. Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Thanks
    Do all service in accordance with the manual recommendations. Does it recommend 8,000 km or 6 months?

Dealers make a high percentage of their profits from their service departments and therefore want to see you more often than necessary.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tomcj2 For This Useful Post:

TinyMicTim (03-20-2019)

Thanks
    With modern synthetic oil, they say you can run 10,000KMs+ before changing it.
    I decided to give it a shot on my 2017 Micra 5MT with its first oil change. I did end up topping up the oil once before changing it at 10k. It was fine.

I'm probably going to change it again around 8k (16k on the odo now).
    I generally change the oil between 5k-7k or once per year roughly and only use Mobil1 synthetic in all 3 of my vehicles.

Stop and go traffic is fine. It's more important that your car is being used and not just sitting.
    That's when changing your oil due to age is more important.

The biggest reason why I would advocate changing your oil sooner than 10k is because most people don't keep an eye on their oil quality and level in between oil changes.

If you wanna save a buck, stretch your synthetic oil out to 10k / once per year. Just make sure to check on it once or twice in between.

If you want to give your car optimal TLC, change it around 6-8k. Use synthetic and don't switch back and forth.
    To take it a notch further, you can run thicker oil in the summer (5w30) and thinner oil in the winter (5w20).
    With a block heater and oil pan heater it really shouldn't matter but I know it gets cold in Winnipeg..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to spacewolf For This Useful Post:

TinyMicTim (03-20-2019)

Thanks
    I'll be doing 15,000km changes with filters every 7,500. Will do a viscosity test at 12,000 once I get there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Micra SV manual: 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.8 mpg (Imp) ... 14.8 km/L ... 34.8 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    In regards to the first oil change, running at least 1000km is usually beneficial prior to the first change, but it's more so the filter that you'd be worrying about, the oil itself is fine... do check the production date on the door though... if the car was the first one made and has been sitting for 9 months, you might want to swap it right away.

In regards to 'special break in oil', Nissan isn't Honda, but if you want, you can always buy Liqui-Moly (a molybdenum-disulfide oil additive) and toss that in with your first oil change... now you have Honda's 'special sauce'.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Azmodon For This Useful Post:

TinyMicTim (03-20-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcj2 View Post
    Do all service in accordance with the manual recommendations. Does it recommend 8,000 km or 6 months?

Dealers make a high percentage of their profits from their service departments and therefore want to see you more often than necessary.
    Manual recommends 6 months or 6000 km which ever comes first For warranty coverage purposes I think i will follow that recommendation. Many thanks for the advice.

Thanks
    My owners manual (2016) says 6 months/8000 kms.
    The Dealer windshield sticker always says due in 4 months which I ignore & go 6 months conventional oil/filter.
    I figure if you want to change your oil more often or use synthetic etc fine just stay within the warranty requirements.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jimwilly For This Useful Post:

TinyMicTim (03-23-2019)